Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Power Level Ammo

Old 05-02-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Power Level Ammo

Anyone know where to buy some of that Power Level ammunition for the 7mm RUM??? I can find the 300 type everywhere, but the 7mm RUM nowhere. I'm thinking that it's just too new... Actually thats what the guy at Cabelas told me... I just don't want to hear that
Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Power Level Ammo

It's listed as new on Remington's website, so it may just be taking a while to get to the shelves.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think maybe because the 7mm RUM is almost dead you're not finding it.....

reason you're finding 300 RUM ammo is because its popular and a successful new round.

I think this power level ammo has been around for a while now too, at least a year if not since the RUM inception.

Also might point out why do we need power level ammo? I guess it gives new meaning to the 1 rifle concept, but really, if you have a .300 RUM,I want full power from every round, not power level, 1, 2, and 3. If I want less power I'll just use my .270.....

Old 05-03-2008, 04:40 AM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I think maybe because the 7mm RUM is almost dead you're not finding it.....

reason you're finding 300 RUM ammo is because its popular and a successful new round.

I think this power level ammo has been around for a while now too, at least a year if not since the RUM inception.

Also might point out why do we need power level ammo? I guess it gives new meaning to the 1 rifle concept, but really, if you have a .300 RUM,I want full power from every round, not power level, 1, 2, and 3. If I want less power I'll just use my .270.....
I saw one good point from all that back and forth chatter amongst yourself. "1 rifle". I think the 7RUM is going to stay, its not "Dying", especially if the boys down at remington just came up with the "New"power level ammo for it.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe its making a comeback? I had thought it died already....

I'm also pretty certain that the power level ammo has been around for a while.....is it new for the 7mm RUM?

Not saying its necessarily a bad round, just that of all the RUM rounds.....the .300 is a succes, and the .338 has some success, the .375RUM is dead......and I heard the 7mm was dead or dying....

If I were to buy any RUM as of today it would be a .300 or .338 RUM for the above reasons....ie if you want velocity I'd get a 300RUM and probably shoot anywhere from 150-180grs from it.

But really why do we need power level ammo? maybe its just me, but I'll use my .300 RUMon elk/long range, if I'm going deer hunting.....i'll just take my .270, which would be lighter, shorter barrel, more practical.....

I really doubt someone would own 1 rifle and that 1 rifle would be a 7mm RUM or a .300 RUM. I would be that 95% or more of 1st rifles for most guys are a .30-06 or .270.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I new I read/saved an article on all the new cartridges....in a recent gun magazine....the article/gun expert critiqued all the new rounds etc... and broke them down into 4 categories....from Winers, to bad bets....

the 7mm RUM was listed under bad bets along with.....223 WSSM, 7mm SAUM, 7mmWSM, .300 SAUM, .338RUM, .376 Steyer.

Time may change, and maybe you're more infromed on the 7mm RUM mag than myself.

do you currently own a 7mm RUM? or thinking of buying one?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:17 PM

I have heard that about the 7mm WSM but not the RUM. I currently shoot a 300 win mag, but couldnt pass up the good price for a Christensen Arms 7mm RUM. I'm gonna make it my primary rifle. Gonna get rid of my old 300
Old 05-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since you have a 7 RUM and want to make it your "1 Rifle" then may I suggest you consider reloading. Then it doesn't matter what remington or any other manufacturer do as the components will be available. Not only that you can actually tailor loads to your particular rifle so you can get the most out of it for each application. The price and availability of 7mm RUM alone should be a carrot to consider investing a little into your rifle and sport. The side benefit is reloading will extend your shooting/hunting hobby as well.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get rid of a rifle? a .300 win mag is a classic, i'm nto sure I'd be so quick to get rid of it. IMO a .300 win mag would be a better all around than a 7mm RUM.

Though in specific situations I'm sure you'd want the 7mm RUM over the .300.
Recently there was a huge discussion on the 7mm RUM on these forums.....lots of comments etc....

How long is your barrel on the 7mm RUM? 26" ?

If anything I'd say hang on to that .300 win mag for a year or two if you can, if you sell it right now, you may end up regretting it and replacing it in a couple of years.

I own a .300 win mag myself, and think, why do I need it anymore? I have since replaced it in some repsects, but to replace it with a new .300 RUM or .300 wsm kinda seems pointless, and its such a great shooter, and has done a great job, I think i won't sell it in my lifetime even if I were to buy some newer .300......