Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slug gun help needed!!! >

Slug gun help needed!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug gun help needed!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM

Default RE: Slug gun help needed!!!

1 and 24 is pretty fast you shouldn't be having problems with the faster slugs with that. Unless your gun just doesn't like them. I forgot it was a 20 ga. They tend to be more forgiving of different loads. They have similar barrel twist rates and loadings to a modern inline muzzle loader, so normally you would expect similar results, not always though.

I was going to suggest you go to shotgunworld, but I see you already have this posted there. The site that sponsors that forum might not be a bad idea either.

I don't think asking for 3 inch groups with a modern slug gun is asking for too much. Let us know how it goes.

Paul
Old 11-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Spike

My 11-87 12 gauge (set up the same as yours)would not shoot any high velocity well. I used the Lightfields for 10 years, and the Platunum Tips the last couple of years I had to shoot slugs. Luckily, I am in the Southern Tier and we can use rifles now. Good-bye to slugs!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I posted this on a few different sites. I wanted to get as much advise and as manyopinionsas I could. My plan now is to shoot the gun with the barrel/mag. nut hand tight, shoot Lightfileld slugs and work on the way I hold the gun while shooting it. I'll hold it tighter against my shoulder and pull slightly down and back on the front fore-end to keep it planted on the sand bag better. I'll be the first to admit that I really don't like (actually I hate)hunting deer with a shotgun, I don't have a choice though. We'll see what happens.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Will_C

My 11-87 12 gauge (set up the same as yours)would not shoot any high velocity well. I used the Lightfields for 10 years, and the Platunum Tips the last couple of years I had to shoot slugs. Luckily, I am in the Southern Tier and we can use rifles now. Good-bye to slugs!!!
Our hunting camp is in Cortland County. It's a few miles from Tioga Countywhich is rifle. I'd like to know what we need to do or who we need to talk to to see if we can get this changed. Once you get outside the City of Cortland (which is pretty small) Cortland County is as rural as it gets![/align]
Old 11-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

I went to the range today. I used Lightfield Slugs. I only tightened the barrel/mag. nut hand tight. I didn't shoot more then three shots per group. I wanted to shoot from a cold/cool barrel so I let it cool down after every three shot group.

I zeroed two inches high at 50 yards like Lightfield recommends. Once I got it zeroed it grouped great at 50 yards, a little over an inch. I fired a few round at 100 yards. The first few shots grouped about 4 inches. To be fair it was pretty windy. I really didn't think it would shoot that well in the wind.

As dumb as this sounds, I don't think my barrel likes to be dirty. I completely cleaned the gun last night. The first fifteen shots all shot pretty well. The last five didn't shoot that good. I really think this was because the barrel was getting dirty.

I'm a lot happier now then I was Sunday.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

it seems that the 1900+ fps slugs are generally shooting poorly out of the typical 1-35 twist barrels.

why aren't the ammo and barrel companies working together to get this right? I mean why would the ammo people think it is smart to offer HV slugs when most of the barrel companies dont make fast enough twists?

do we all have to buy custom barrels to shoot the fast stuff?

this should have been coordinated among ammo and barrel companies before the products came out to frustrate us.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:30 PM

It's sad to say, but it's because they know people will buy them. If you read the add for Hornady's sabots they make them sound like they will shoot perfect out to 200 yards in any gun. Some don't know any better and buy them like hotcakes because it sounds so good.

And some guns do shoot them well, and there are several shotguns that have stock barrels with better twist rates as well. It's just the most common guns, H&R, Mossberg, and remington seem to still have the slower twists in them. At least in 12 ga models anyway. These guns were made to shoot the typical one ounce saboted lead slug. And be inexpensive to own and use. Retooling to keep up with the more modern shells would be very expensive I would guess.

That's my take on it anyway. And in my opinion why an inline muzzle loader still has the advantage over a slug gun, even with all the recent advancements in ammunition. If you were looking to shoot beyond 100 yards I would still look really hard at a quality inline and spend some range time dialing it in.

Paul
Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Try regular $2.00 foster style slugs by Winchester you will be suprised
Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 PM

I like the WW'S ,they shoot pretty good in my smooth bore. I have True Balls to try now , I'll let you all know how they do after gun season..

34-35 , twist rate in a 12, That 20ga. may be too fast or slow , we don't know,these manufacturers are not keeping up with the advances in slug gun en.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:07 AM

This is too funny New York Hunter. Read the post that I just added to this forum. I had the exact same problem as you with my 11-87 and those slugs. My 11-87 only shoots Lightfields good. That is it.
And even with those I think I should be getting a tighter grouping at 100 yards.

By the way, I blogged my experience shooting the same slugs you mentioned above. You can read it if you like.
http://www.empirehunting.com/new_york_hunting_blog/new_york_deer_hunting_Sight_in_early.aspx

Quick Reply: Slug gun help needed!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.