Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slug gun help needed!!! >

Slug gun help needed!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug gun help needed!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Slug gun help needed!!!

When I tighten the barrel/mag nut as tight as I can get it by hand, I can feel the front fore-end move side to side. The barrel also moves. It doesn't take to much pressure to make this happen. Is this normal?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Don't know the model, but typically when you tighten down it'll click until you can't go any further and nothing should move more than a scant millimeter or two. I would have a gunsmith look at it quick....you may regret it if you don't.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Canned Heat

Don't know the model, but typically when you tighten down it'll click until you can't go any further and nothing should move more than a scant millimeter or two. I would have a gunsmith look at it quick....you may regret it if you don't.
It's a Remington11-87 premier 20 ga. I just changed the stock and front fore-end to the black synthetic ones today. I couldn't find a monte carlowooden stock for the 20 ga.The monte carlo stock is nice because the scopeis pretty high because of the cantilever mount.[/align]
Old 11-12-2007, 03:26 PM

I don't believe you should put the nut on that tight, it should actually say in the manual. If you don't have one check online for one you can read. Being that it is a cantilever mount barrel the fact that the barrel may move a little probably doesn't mean much since the scope is fixed to the barrel, not the receiver. If the scope were mounted to the receiver then it would make a huge difference. Which is why I don't like receiver mounted scopes on shotguns unless they have pinned or fixed barrels.

The problems you are seeing could be numerous. One thing I see right off the bat is you are not shooting a group before adjusting the scope. It sounds like you are shooting one shot, then adjusting and firing another. You should fire at least two or three shots before you adjust anything. I know that gets expensive with modern sabots though.

And like mentioned above most rifled slug barrels have a 1 and 30 something twist to them and don't seem to like the faster rounds. Try some ammo that shoots closer to 1700 fps and see what happens. Another thing is slug guns can be very picky about what they like, you just have to try several brands and types to see what works best. And shooting relatively well up close and going to hell in a hand basket at 100 yards or farther is fairly common as well. This is why you should ALWAYS shoot your gun at the ranges you intend to hunt game at.

I have an H&R ultra that will do the same thing with some loads. Shoots great at 50 yards with just about anything I feed it, and most are pretty darn good at 75 yards. Then some of them won't even stay on a 8x11 sheet of paper at 100 yards! Mine simply does not like the faster Barnes bullets by federal.

The fact that it shot better when it was cold is a bit puzzling and that would lead me to believe you had the nut too tight or something else is going on.

Could be a scope failure as well, I have dealt with that recently and it's enough to give you fits.

If you don't figure it out let me know, I know a site that deals specifically with slug shooting with some very knowledgeable people that may be able to help you out.

Paul
Old 11-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Paul,

whats that site for slug shooters?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Site Bouncer

Ok.....couple of things.

First, as mentioned by Paul, you should not over tighten the forend nut, just as eldequello stated this WILL adversely effect your accuracy and you guessed it....when the barrel heats up. My Father-in-Law did the same thing (over tightened) and had the exact same results when the barrel heated up.

Second, again as mentioned by Paul (you were right on the money on both counts) some of the faster lighter slugs just won't stabilize at longer distances out of certain slug barrels. You need to experiment with different loads to find what shoot best with your set up.I (like Paul) shoot a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe and it also looses some accuracy with lighter faster slugs out at 100 yards and beyond. I shoot the 400gr 1700fps Winchester Platinum tips and they are perfect for the H&R. It is a tack driver out past 150yds.

Good Luck this year.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:48 PM

Mine likes those as well, 2 inch groups or better at 100 yards off from a bench.

Paul
Old 11-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Mine likes those as well, 2 inch groups or better at 100 yards off from a bench.

Paul
Yep I agree, I can play "connect the dots" at 50 yds with my H&R, I get the same results as you (2in Groups)at 100yds and sightly larger allthe wayout to 150yds, it's just a fantastic shooting slug gun no doubt. I have mine sighted in at 100yds with the Platinum tips and that's all I'll shoot......I even stocked up on them in case Winchester ever decided to drop that cartridge.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

The problems you are seeing could be numerous. One thing I see right off the bat is you are not shooting a group before adjusting the scope. It sounds like you are shooting one shot, then adjusting and firing another. You should fire at least two or three shots before you adjust anything. I know that gets expensive with modern sabots though.
I understand what you are saying. However I only made two adjustments yesterday. I fired one round at 25 yards, made an elevation adjustment, fired one more round then moved on to 100 yards. I fired my first round at 100 yards and then made elevation and windage adjustments. I then fired 9 more rounds at 100 without making anymore adjustments. My groups didn't get any better. [/align]
And like mentioned above most rifled slug barrels have a 1 and 30 something twist to them and don't seem to like the faster rounds. Try some ammo that shoots closer to 1700 fps and see what happens. Another thing is slug guns can be very picky about what they like, you just have to try several brands and types to see what works best. And shooting relatively well up close and going to hell in a hand basket at 100 yards or farther is fairly common as well. This is why you should ALWAYS shoot your gun at the ranges you intend to hunt game at.

I have an H&R ultra that will do the same thing with some loads. Shoots great at 50 yards with just about anything I feed it, and most are pretty darn good at 75 yards. Then some of them won't even stay on a 8x11 sheet of paper at 100 yards! Mine simply does not like the faster Barnes bullets by federal.

The fact that it shot better when it was cold is a bit puzzling and that would lead me to believe you had the nut too tight or something else is going on.

Could be a scope failure as well, I have dealt with that recently and it's enough to give you fits.

If you don't figure it out let me know, I know a site that deals specifically with slug shooting with some very knowledgeable people that may be able to help you out.

Paul
Remington's uses a 1:24 twist on their 20 ga.according to their web site. I have no idea if 1:24 is fast or slowfor a 20 ga. I already backed the barrel/mag. nut off and tightened ithand tight. I'm going to try the slower Lightfield Slugs. I'm going to sightit in 2 inches high at 50 yards like their web site says. That is supposed to be right around zero at 100 yards.

I need a legitimate 100 yardslug gun. To me that means 3 inch groups or better at 100 yards.Although most of my hunting will be in the wood where 50 to 75 yard shots are the norm. I will also be hunting areasonce ina while where 100 plus yards shotmight be required. I'll set myself up so I won'tbe taking shots longer then 100 yards. I'll take all the information and web sites you have to offer. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

I really appreciate all the help. I want to thank everyone. If anyone has anything elseto add please do. Thanks again! [/align]

Quick Reply: Slug gun help needed!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.