Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 700 (ADL) ???'s >

Remington 700 (ADL) ???'s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 (ADL) ???'s

Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Remington 700 (ADL) ???'s

Where is the model 700 in the overall scope of Remington?
Are they at the top? Middle? I read on Remington's site that the ADL was discontinued in '05. Don't the army sniper rifles use the 700 action?
I'm looking at one at Wally world in .243 for $325.00!! Synth, matte barrel.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:20 PM

Default RE: Remington 700 (ADL) ???'s

the 700 is what the m24 is based on I believe, and some of the 700's are top of the line while others are more basic. Pretty much use how much it costs as ameasuring toolfor how good remington percieves it to be. As with many things, you get what you pay for. The 700's range from i guess the one you see at walmart to a few that cost over a grand. I think the ADL was replaced with the DM(detachable mag) but im not sure. if you go to their web site you can see a list of all the 700's they are currently making. I am looking into them myself, although I am looking into a larger calibur. The 700 claims to be the rifle all others are measured up to, weather that is true or not I am not sure, but i hear they are good rifles. happy hunting.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:27 PM

The sniper forums are full of 700 parts, customized 700's in the thousands, etc. Gunbrokers and others have 700 take off parts, where someone buys a 700, takes off the barrel and stock, and starts customizing.
I just got a very nice 700 SP (wooden stock BDL model made just for D.i.c.k.'s, I think) in 300 wsm for $399. Had coupons, Reminton $30 rebate, and D.I.C.K.'s gift card promotion that brought the price down to $320. List was $520. The wood is unusually nice. Have gotten lots of comments on it. Sighted the scope in Sunday, and will be lethal on whitetail deer next week! I think so much of the wood that I have found an SPS take off stock with the F3 recoil pad for $60, from a CA customi rifle builder.
I then saw one for $40 shipped new from another custom rifle builder!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

In olden times the BDL was the top of the live and the ADL was next. The ADL was discontinued and replaced by the newer SPS model. The 700 Action is the same in all the Remington rifles as far as strength and function. There are still quite a few ADL Synthetics around. Good rifles. The SPS models have 24 inch barrels on all the standard calibers.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The older ADLs were the same as the BDLs without a jeweled bolt, stock endcap, and hinged floorplate. Below is a picture of a 30 year old ADL.

The ADLs of the latter day, or at least the last time I looked at them had a much lower grade metal finish than the BDLs, and had cheap flimsy plastic stocks. The entry level 700s have similar cheap stocks.

The actions for all grades of 700s are the same, with the only major variation being the length.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

cheap flimsy plastic? It's all well and good to have a preference for a nice piece of walnut. But, the ADL's have a pretty decent synthetic stock, on par with the quality of any other manufacturer's synthetics. My 700 ADL .243 will shoot a lot better than I can. When I get a chance, I'll post a scan of the pre-season sight in target I shot last week...
Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The last time I looked at an ADL was about 5 years ago. I could visibly flex the stock by bending it with my hands, maybe the rifle could still shoot well, but it wasn't confidence inspiring especially considering that the remingtons are usually pressure bedded on the foreend.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's really bizarre. I bought a .243 ADL three years ago, and there's no way you could flex the stock by hand. I also bought one of Remington's synthetics to replace the laminate that I had on my .30-06 ADL (The laminate is just too pretty to carry around...). I don't think you could flex the stocks if you put one end in a vise and pulled on the other. You sure you weren't looking at a 710?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 PM

I have a safe full of 700's, and as TG Sheperd said, "i've loved 'em every one". I have tried sako, browning, s&w, winchester, baretta mato, etc, and i've found some that i really liked, but imo the 700 is the "out of the box" king, unchallenged. I have never seen a bad one!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:06 PM

The Walmart 700 ADL is a no drop floorplate, basic stock, matte finish,no frills, shooting machine. The stocks can be a little less stiff than I would like, andI even think they may vary a little gun to gun. I have sold many of the same rifle, I say save a few bucks and buy this rifle then take the savings and buy a premium scope.

Quick Reply: Remington 700 (ADL) ???'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.