Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best survival rifle? >

Best survival rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best survival rifle?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best survival rifle?

[hr]

I'm sure that most people will disagree with me but I feel that a .22 magnum makes the ideal(actually there are NO ideal all purpose everything rifles) survival rifle. Before yall get the noose or cross out let me explain. I hunt edible small game with a .22 mag and solid fmj bullets. I've discovered that a .22 mag fmj bullet leaves exactly wound channel as a .22lr with hollow point but with more penetration and range. For close range varmits,(up to 150 yards) the .22 mag with hollow pointed bullets do a dandy job. I've even shot deer (crop protection and culling) with the .22 mag and it drops them like a rock with head shot. The .22 mag has snake shot that is lethal on snakes within 9-12 feet also.
You can carry enough .22 mag ammo to feel guilty,most firearms chambered in this cartridge are reasonably accurate,and ammo is reasonably priced. I've said my reasons that I think what makes a good survival gun,let's hear yall's.[/align]
Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best survival rifle?

12 ga. shotgun. birdshot to slugs has pretty much everything covered. Hitting the one edible critter I've seen all day while it's flying or running with any .22 might be a bit of a challenge for me.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 PM

Savage 24F 12 gauge/ 223 combo. Maybe 30/30 based on ammunition availability
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I tend to agree with your choice of rimfire for just the reasons you stated. I recall a .22/410 survival gun that was offered by I can't remember who a bunch of years ago that had askeletonized frame and I believe folded up too? If I had to spend an extended time out in the "lonesome" by myself, I think I'd want something like that with me, but I don't think it was chambered for the .22 Mag. If a guy could get one of these, do you think a rechambering would be feasable? That would make one hell of a survival gun in my opinion, provided Mr. Bruin didn't become a problem. Hope this answered your "question"....
Don
Old 10-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The one you have with you![8D]

Honestly, I would say that if you are going somewhere where you might need a weapon to survive, then I wouldn't skimp on a little rimfire or rimfire/.410 bore combo gun. I'd probably take a pump shotgun (12 or 20 gauge, but probably 12) with a smoothbore slug barrel and a few shells each in birdshot (#6 Field Loads), buckshot (000) and Foster slugs. It'd allow you to deal with just about anything ranging from taking small to medium game to eat, to protection from a large predator that might fancy eating you. Good snake medicine, too.

Mike
Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

22 lr& 22 mag is what i chose last time this came up(here i think it was) a few yrs back- so id agree for the reasons you mention.

Almost bought one of those 22 lr./410 survival over& under rifles ( use to see them at walmart in the past- pretty resonable in cost- that yall mentioned above( made by springfield maybe?( cant remember)- seems like it be a good choice to.And the Ar 7- never ended up buying either tho.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the .22wmr it has served me well.And you could carry a $hit load of ammo with ya.The last time I answered this question it was a .22wmr that I choose.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

My first question would have to be Where do you plan on having to survive? If it were BC or Alaska or NWT, I would want a bit more than a 22WMR and would lean toward a Rem 870 12 Ga with a 21" barrel and sights with a mag full of alternating 00 buck and slugs and some #6 bird shot in my pocket.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes thats true- i see what yall mean & are saying to- if there where many large bears around polar or grizz or many african lions ( or armed 2 legged critters )etc id forsure go for something a bitbigger then my rimfire to.

I think I'd want something like that with me, but I don't think it was chambered for the .22 Mag. If a guy could get one of these, do you think a rechambering would be feasable? That would make one hell of a survival gun in my opinion, provided Mr. Bruin didn't become a problem
Id like it a lot better in 22. mag also - (i always wished it( theM6)had come in .223 cal & 410- guess that why i never got one....)- Yes maybe someone can convert one it to 22. mag maybe?

The M 6survival rifle made by Springfield- i dont know if they still make them/maybe not/dont know really.

Those ar 7(armalite)(22.lr small survivaltypes are made by Henry now i think & a lot of plastic compared to the old ones i used /borrowed for a bit when i looked at newones at walmart awhile back.

(I do need a newa 22. mag rifle to go along with my22mag pistol tho- still looking mrs santa would get me one i know- she owes me one)

Old 10-26-2007, 06:17 AM

IMO there is probably no correct answer to whats the perfect survival arm . It will come down to what you have available. The air force has a hand gun for there pilots and they could see just about any thing if they are forced to jump into who knows where , but I think that is more for there protectionfromthe two legged type of survival (enemy).
The 22lr can put down just about any thing with proper shot placement and the amount of ammo you Carrie is not an issue ,I would much rather Carrie other survival supplies than a bunch of excess ammo, more than needed. That also brings up , how much does this survival weapon weigh and also the weight of its ammo .You will have to Carrie this thing and its ammo around with you the whole time. This iswhere a side arm (hand gun)comes in , not as accurate at longer ranges ,but you are in a survival setting, not the typicalhunting situation .

Quick Reply: Best survival rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.