Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Test Magazine. Billing scam. >

Gun Test Magazine. Billing scam.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Test Magazine. Billing scam.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Gun Test Magazine. Billing scam.

I keep recieving bills from a collection agencyrepresenting Gun Test Magazine.
I did not evin recieve the magazines, but the collection agency just keeps senting me threatening notices.
I tried to contact them, but all thay will say is have Your attourney contact Us.
This is all over a 24 $ bill for magazines I did not recieve.
Anyone else having issues with Gun Test Magazine billing practices???
Should I retain an attourney just to get them off my back??
Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun Test Magazine. Billing scam.

I feel bad for you because it is going to cost you lots to fight it. In addition you're going to have to contact the credit agencies to get this removed. Believe it or not a $24 collection will hurt your credit substantially enough to cause you to pay higher interest rates on large purchases.

I'd actually consider paying it.

Tom
Old 10-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

contact your better business borough and send a certifed letter with return reciet (keep a copy) to both the magizine and the collection agency. It sounds like a scam if they will not speak with you.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

You should be able to find customer service information here:

www.gun-tests.com

I'd try dealing with the folks at the magazine rather than some scum working for a collection agency. From everything I've heard, Gun Tests is a reputable group. I find it hard to believe that they're trying to scam you. Explain to them that you've never received any of their magazines, and ask them to produce a subscription card or something showing that you ordered the magazines.

As someone above said, unfortunately, it might be worth it to just send in the $24 to get rid of a headache. It'll cost WAAAY more than that to have an attorney deal with them. And, your credit rating is worth a whole heck of a lot more than disputing $24...
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 PM

My attourny is also my sister so I don't get scamed very often, but I know how much it cost if you're not in a similar situation, as I've been there myself.
I agree that going to the magazine would be the best way to procede, and also the certified letter would likely be worth a try.
If you did in fact subscribe to the magazine I would ask for all the back issues that you havent received and suggest to them that if they don't either honor there end of the bargain or get the collection agency off your back that you will paint a negative picture of them all over the internet as well as contacting the BBB.
You might even name several hunting and shooting related forums in your letter just to help them understand how much you could potentially hurt them.
But most importantly, if you did in fact order the magazine, and you have received what you were entitled, then pay them what you owe and quit screwing arround, otherwise see above. Glenn
Old 10-17-2007, 04:28 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will atempt to contact Gun Test directly. I would not mind paying the bill for the magazines. But it is just the pont, I do not like the idea of being taken advantage of. Thanks !!!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Fl Still Hunter

I keep recieving bills from a collection agencyrepresenting Gun Test Magazine.
I did not evin recieve the magazines, but the collection agency just keeps senting me threatening notices.
I tried to contact them, but all thay will say is have Your attourney contact Us.
This is all over a 24 $ bill for magazines I did not recieve.
Anyone else having issues with Gun Test Magazine billing practices???
Should I retain an attourney just to get them off my back??
Are you in the Army? If so, consult the JAG folks-they will advise you. The problem is, this can adversely affect your credit rating. If you don't care about that, just tell them to go to h---!

You may be able to get some help from your state Attorney General's office, or the Better Business Bureau. If they continue to harrass you about a "debt" you did NOT contract for, I believe you have grounds for civil court action against both the magazine and the collection agency. If you sued and they settled, or you won your case, they would have to pay your legal fees and court costs as well as damages.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

I've never heard of a collection agency getting involved for an unpaid magazine subscription. I just doesn't sound right to me. It's not like you filled out and signed a credit application to get this mag. I don't even believe they can lawfully ding your credit for a magazine subscription. I would sue them if they dinged my credit for something as ridiculous as this.

Do you have any idea how easy it is to sign someone up for a mag. sub. by just dropping a prepaid postcard in the mail?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:41 PM

That is a good point!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

How about an update? Any resolution?