Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remmington 710 >

Remmington 710

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remmington 710

Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Remmington 710

I have a remmy 710 30-06 and I'm wondering what the most accurate ammuntion is for this gun.
I know everyone has an opinion on this model of rifle, please limit this forum to 710 owners/shooters. Thanks!
Also I was wondering if the trigger is adjustable, can I do it myself? I heard it has the same trigger as the 700.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remmington 710

The only way to find out is to experiment with different brands and different bullet weights. I'd recommend starting out with 150 Gr. Remington Express PSP Core-Lokt's.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 PM

Ammunition is like women and clothes. Some guns shoot many brands and weights of ammunition well, some shoot only very specific loads. I also like the Rem in PSP and Core Locked. We sight in guns as a service, and the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip shoots well in most guns, I would try it. I sense you are a newer shooter, I would suggest starting with 150 gr also, recoil will be a little less of an issue.

I am in the minority of most people that shoot as much as I do, I do not reload. When I buy a new gun I will pickfour to five loads that seem to meet the criteria of the game I expect to hunt, and buy one box of each. I will then shoot a couple of three shot groups as a test out of each box. The load that gives the best results I will buy at least two boxes of and sight in. Because we sight rifles as a businessI will keep the left-overs of cartridges that did not make the cut in one particular rifle and let other people use. You might consider finding a friend with the same caliber rifle as yourself and splitting a few types of ammunition for testing.

Take you time, treat every shot like a science experiment, enjoy the experience of tuning your rifle.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:43 PM

I would go a step further than Ideaman. I would make it a "blind test".

Have a friend cover the boxes so that you can not see what they are, then number the boxes and write down which number corresponds with which box. This way you will not be influenced by things like brand name, price, etc.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one that shot the cheap Winchester or Remington Core Lokts just fine. Start as cheap as you can and then work up from there. No need to spend any more than you have to.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:12 AM

I have the same gun. It shoots ok with Remington Core Lokt. It will shoot around 2-2.5in at 100 with them. I shoot Winchester Ballistic Silvertips and am getting 3/4-1in groups at 100. Im going to be getting rid of this gun very soon. Last year during bear season we had a close incounter and when reloading the 4th round the bolt ripped out of the gun through the bolt stop. Other then that its been a good gun. I beat the crap out of it and it never gave me a prob until then. Ive had it since they came out new a few years ago. Its slid down a few mountains , went swimming to retrieve animals, fell out of trucks and never gave me a problem.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine worked fine too, but when I found it was cracking where the clip slides in and meets the bolt, it had to go. That rifle fit me good too.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Retaks

I have the same gun. It shoots ok with Remington Core Lokt. It will shoot around 2-2.5in at 100 with them. I shoot Winchester Ballistic Silvertips and am getting 3/4-1in groups at 100. Im going to be getting rid of this gun very soon. Last year during bear season we had a close incounter and when reloading the 4th round the bolt ripped out of the gun through the bolt stop. Other then that its been a good gun. I beat the crap out of it and it never gave me a prob until then. Ive had it since they came out new a few years ago. Its slid down a few mountains , went swimming to retrieve animals, fell out of trucks and never gave me a problem.
If I had a bear coming down at me I might have ripped the bolt out of it too trying to chamber another round
Old 10-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

I found mine liked Federal 150gr Sierra Game King ammo REAL well.