Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handi Rifle

Old 10-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Handi Rifle

I have seen a couple of people mention they are fans of the H&R Handi Rifle on this board. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of the 500S&W HR? when they first came out,I was going to buy one just because it sounded like a really cool caliber for a rifle, I have seen a deer killed with the handgun, and it was the most decisive kill I have ever seen, it wasn't a large deer (Texas) but it went down like it was struck by lightening, and it didn't even twitch. That was a 60+ yard shot with a handgun. Anyway, I went to check one out at local gun store, and they told me the guns had been recalled due to extractor problems. Anyone have an update?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Handi Rifle

First I have heard about it but its possible. Go to www.graybeardoutdoors.com. they have forum on centerfire NEF rifles and those guys know all there is to know about the Handi rifles.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:25 PM

kirby375, if you just have to have one of those cannons good luck!
My son has one in 45/70 and it is vicious with heavy loads,I can't see why anyone would ever need a more powerful rifle in that weight class.
I'm not saying it isn't very cool, as I would love to have one myself but I already have a Marlin 1895 which weighs enough to lessen the recoil punishment.
I'm becoming something of a sissy as I get older and joints begin wearing out, so now I wouldn't consider shooting one of them revolvers chambered for that 500s&w and a light weight gun such as the handi rifle wouldn't be much better. This is just my openion for what it's worth, Glenn
Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 AM

Oh, it's never really a case of NEED is it? : ) I have a marlin 95 in 45/70, and yeah, it's pretty brutal with heavy loads too.
I have been a member of a hunting lease in Texas the last few years, and the guy that is the head dog on the lease has one of the handguns in .500, thus the story I related above. I fired the handgun a couple of times, and can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want one, but that's just me. I really would like the handi rifle though, just to say I have one if nothing else. I have a lot of firearms that I have no real NEED for. 90% of the time when I hunt somewhere out of state, I take a 30 06. Apparently I sometimes have too much time on my hands : )
Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 AM

I purchased a handi rifle for my son's first rifle. It functions, well after I polished the chamber so the cases would eject it functions. I would have a hard time recommending them to anyone though. Save up a little and buy a TC encore you'll have a better rifle, and it will hold its value much better.