Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Cases?

Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Gun Cases?

Hey all

When you are looking for a case for your gun what is important to you? Do you usually look for it online or go straight to a store?

Thanks everyone!!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun Cases?

I like full piano hinges, wheels and good locks. There are pretty good selections in the stores at good prices so I usually go there. I have bought them over the internet though.

Tom
Old 10-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I’m looking for a gun case, I usually look to make sure it has lots of room for a scope and what type of straps are being used for holding the rifle secure in place. I would also look at the shell making sure it’s well molded or constructed for abuse. I wouldn’t buy one online unless I would have seen or purchased that particular gun case first...
Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of good advice so far...strong hinges and locks..reinforced corners are nice, too... also, if you are interested in a double gun case, make certain it can easily hold two scoped rifles safely, and close fairly easily and securely. Don't forget to make sure it's airline approved.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 AM

This is simple. I look to see if it says Pelican on the side. IMO they are by far the best case out there. lots of good info on their website. Just google Pelican gun cases.
you can run them over with a car. They are big enough for your rifle, and scope, and accessories. They come with an easy to cut out foam. They have handles on the side to carry like a suitcase, and on the end to pull it on it's wheels. They are water proof, O-ring sealed, with a pressure relief valve.
I have flown all over the country with mine without any issues at all.
Standard issue gun case for Army Snipers
I will probably never buy any other gun case
Old 10-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Depends what you are going to do with the gun case. If you intend to fly with it, make sure you have something that is bomb proof. Those are a bit expensive and very bulky. If it is only to put in the back of your car, then something a little bit lighter/smaller/cheaper will work well.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hjomats

Hey all

When you are looking for a case for your gun what is important to you? Do you usually look for it online or go straight to a store?

Thanks everyone!!
I like the same things statjunk likes. I also want a case that is long enough that the gun doesn't come much closer than 1" on each end. I have a fullstock Hawken flintlock with a 36" barrel, and the LOA is right at 53.25" . I have yet to find a gun case that is long enough for this rifle, and I hate to carry it around wrapped up in a blanket. But that's better than NO case at all, I guess.....