Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What Should I Do??? >

What Should I Do???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What Should I Do???

Old 09-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default What Should I Do???

I have been wanting a new rifle for a while. I also have been looking a building one using an action from a gun I hardly use. The cost is about the same because I already have the action. What do you all think? Build one or buy a new one? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What Should I Do???

Sell me your action so I can start my project.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

How soon do you need the rifle? Are you building it? If not, how long will it take your smith to do it? If you arent hurtin time wise, Id say build/get onebuilt.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:51 PM

McDonald's is hiring,

Get a second job and keep the gun you have a buy a second gun off the rack or have it custom built.

$7.50 hr + meals, free uniforms = About $125 for A 20 hour week!

4 weeks = $500! 8 weeks = $1000

You do the math!
Old 09-22-2007, 01:06 PM
bigcountry

I have bought dozens of factory guns, and have had a few guns put together. I was at the crossroads you are before. And here is what I learned.

1.) If you have a plan for the gun like an upcoming moose trip, don't trust the gunsmith saying he can have it done in time. I ended up having to buy another gun, and it took the smith about 6month longer than planned and it was horrible workmanship, cause I rushed him and PO'd him.
2.) I have had great luck with rebarreled built guns and some bad. Nothing was in the middle. But one in particular sure was barreled badly. So realize there is a chance for a lemon. Gunsmith reputation and honor are important.
3.)I have some real nice factory shooters that I wouldn't sell for 30% markup.
4.) If I had it to do over, I will send the barreled action to a place like shilen. Have them rebarrel. I have noticed they do stand behind thier work. Its cheaper to find a gunsmith, but hard to find a good one.
5.) If your gunsmith is taking much longer than expected, don't rush him, either leave the gun or pick up the whole shootin match and cancel the job.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like big country said, I've had some good experiences, and some real nightmares. If you get a 'smith to do the whole thing, better get a real firm price first. Yhis stuff can get expensive quick. If you can do the stockwork yourself, you can save some money if you know what you are doing. Some manufacturers advertise drop-in stocks, but most take a bit of finishing.
It's nice to say it is your custom rifle built by/for just you, but you can get more money in it than a good factory gun costs.
Another point is resale. It is usually harder to sell or trade a custom gun than a factory one. JMO..............
Old 09-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Not too worried about resale. I'm a lefty and they usually don't sell well. Time is also not a issue. If I decide to build it will be after the hunting season. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I'm a custom rifle builder by profession,I'm not trying to mislead you when stating that a custom rifle is WAYYYY better than factory rifles. With a custom rifle,you will get for your money hand fitting,extremely tight tolerances,top quality materials/parts,stock,etc fitted exactly for YOU,lifetime pride of ownership,and confidence that only comes from a very accurate rifle where you know the bullet will hit exactly where you aim. Of course there are countless "levels" or options,you may choose anywhere from mild to wild in regards to weight,caliber,appearance,and of course,accuracy. The factorys do a wonderful job at turning out good shooting rifles,they are still mass produced-where as a custom rifle is built to your exact specfications and hand fitting the factory cannot afford to do and still be competive in price.
I honestly believe every rifle shooter/hunter deserves at least 1 totally custom built rifle in their lifetime.