Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 stocks for an sks >

stocks for an sks

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

stocks for an sks

Old 09-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default stocks for an sks

I am wanting to put a stock on my chinese skstype 56 paratrooper. The problem is I am having problem choising a stock, I am looking at the tapco t6 (fusion) or a monte carlo? I am going to use the rifle as back up for hunting and well plinking (it is an sks). Yalls input would be great on this.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: stocks for an sks

I have one on the 2nd page of the guns sales adds, nice stock just needs final inletting to your rifle and refinished. I had bought it for my Russian SKS but the value of the Russians went up in full military configuration so I left it alone.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Go with the tapco adjut stcok. MOre options for sizing!
Nathan
Old 09-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was looking at my sks, with it's shorter barrel, the T6 stock would look better and is only $10 more then a monte carlo I was looking, big plus I get a local gun shop to order it for me, if the price is right.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

is post working
Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Site Bouncer

Corey,

I have to warn you. You are getting into 922r regulation issues if you install the T6. The reason being the T6 has a pistol grip and that's illegal unless you change your SKS. By putting a pistol grip stock on you are "building a semi automatic rifle that's prohibited from importation"according to the feds. I'm not going to get into whether it makes sense or not because it doesn't but it is what it is.

If you install a pistol grip stockon an SKS you have just "built"a semiautomatic rifle that is identical (due to the pistol grip) to a rifle that's illegal to import soyou MUSTHAVE NO MORE than 10foreign parts in it. These parts must be switched out from the ones listed in 922r asparts that count toward the 10.

Here is a portion of a letter from the ATF on the issue:

As background, the amended Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), 18 U.S.C. Section 922(r), states the following:

It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to —

(1)the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof or

(2)the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the... [U.S. Attorney General]

Also, 27 C.F.R. Section 478.39 states

“…(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(b)The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1)The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof or (2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of [§478.151(formerly 178.151)]; or (3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

(c)For purposes of this section, the term imported parts [tabulated below] are.

(1)Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or castings.
(2)Barrels.
(3)Barrel extensions.
(4)Mounting blocks (trunnions).
(5)Muzzle attachments.
(6)Bolts.
(7)Bolt carriers.
(8)Operating rods.
(9)Gas pistons.
(10)Trigger housings.
(11)Triggers.
(12)Hammers.
(13)Sears.
(14)Disconnectors.
(15)Buttstocks.
(16)Pistol grips.
(17)Forearms, handguards.
(18)Magazine bodies.
(19)Followers.
(20)Floor plates.

Therefore, it is a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 922(r) to assemble such a rifle or shotgun from more than 10 of the imported parts specified in 27 CFR § 478.39. However, assembly of certain semiautomatic rifles or shotguns using 10 or fewer of these imported parts is not prohibited under this section. With respect to your inquiry regarding Chinese-made SKS carbines, please note that because this firearm was manufactured in China, all the parts used to assemble the rifle are considered imported per 922(r).

Further, please note that a Chinese-made SKS carbine, in its original military configuration, consists of the following parts derived from the list presented above:

1.Receiver.
2.Barrel.
3.Muzzle attachment.
4.Bolt.
5.Bolt carrier.
6.Gas piston.
7.Trigger housing.
8.Trigger.
9.Hammer.
10.Sear.
11.Disconnector.
12.Buttstock.
13.Forearm/handguard.
14.Magazine body.
15.Follower.
Soby changing the stock to a pistol grip stock you have just made your SKSillegal to import thus illegal. You mustreduce the imported parts listed above to10 orless. I have made bold the parts that are available from US manufacturers...as far as I know.

The T6 stock has three USA parts: 1. Stock 2. Pistol grip 3. Forearm/handguard. If you noticed you actually added a part that's not originally on theSKS (pistol grip) so you will need to addmore USA parts from the list above until you have no more than 10 imported (original) parts remaining from the list above to be legal.

Before you or anybody else even brings it up...yes I too have seen countless numbers of SKS's for sale in that configuration (stocks switched) and the statute only refers to "Building" and not "owning" a rifle in this configuration, but I for one do not want to chance it. You can swap out a stock that does not have a pistol grip and you will be ok but you walk a fine line when it has a pistol grip on it.

Just though I'd toss this out to ya.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigj, I have read the 922r, yes you have to have 10 foreign parts, must sks' have 15 foreign parts, the yugo has 17. I have changed out opt. piston with a tapco (1) the tapco t6 would make 3 making it 10 foreign parts thous it still in the 922r. still have the orginal opt. piston so I can swap that out if I have to.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: corey012778

bigj, I have read the 922r, yes you have to have 10 foreign parts, must sks' have 15 foreign parts, the yugo has 17. I have changed out opt. piston with a tapco (1) the tapco t6 would make 3 making it 10 foreign parts thous it still in the 922r. still have the orginal opt. piston so I can swap that out if I have to.
You have to have 10 or LESS foreign parts. Your SKS has a total of 15 foreign parts, so you need to replace 5 of them. By my count, from what you listed above, you onlyhave swapped out3 withUSA parts: Gas Piston (1) Tapco Stock & Handguard(2&3)you still needtwo more because you can't count the pistol grip because it's not on the listbelow and you just added it so it cancels itself out.

I also made a mistake on my earlier post, I did a little more research and you still cannot get ANY of the fire control group made in the USA for an SKS. Below is a more accurate count of what's available from US manufacturers.

1.Receiver.
2.Barrel.
3.Muzzle attachment.
4.Bolt.
5.Bolt carrier.
6.Gas piston.
7.Trigger housing.
8.Trigger.
9.Hammer.
10.Sear.
11.Disconnector.
12.Buttstock.
13.Forearm/handguard.
14.Magazine body.
15.Follower

As you can see there are only 6 of the 15 components that are available from a US vendor. You will almost have to purchase all of the bold type components in order to make your SKS legal. There is no way around this, you cannot use the original fixed 10 round magazine you must buy a USA made detachable (duckbill) magazine in order to use the body and follower in your parts count. I've never been a fan of those magazines as most of them on the market are absolute junk.

If it were me, I'd leave it as is...nothin wrong with the original stock, little short sure but it makes for a pretty handy little rifle especially in the paratrooper configuration.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got the 3 from the tapco ad for it. I was not counting the pistol grip. I was reading on a forum for the sks, what you have for the chinese sks is incorrect, one of the guys that runs the board email the atf and told them. there is not a muzzle attachment shipped on my sks or look like it was not made for one.

check out what they had to say:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=27678.0
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: corey012778

I got the 3 from the tapco ad for it. I was not counting the pistol grip. I was reading on a forum for the sks, what you have for the chinese sks is incorrect, one of the guys that runs the board email the atf and told them. there is not a muzzle attachment shipped on my sks or look like it was not made for one.

check out what they had to say:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=27678.0
Yep, I'm a member of that board too.

You still need to purchase another part to be legal, with the T-6 stock and Tapco gas piston you have three, you need four at the very least. Please remember all of this (parts count and what parts are considered) is subject toand has been changed by the ATF at their prerogative at any time, so the more USA parts you can install the better.

I'm pretty familiar with the SKS rifle enough know you will have to swap out the original fixed 10 round magazine for a USA made "duck Bill" detachable magazine in order to put on the T-6 Stock. Again those types of magazines are hit or miss when it comes to reliability.

I've tried all the different combination of stocks and magazines and I always have gone back to the original configuration. It works the best and is the most reliable and above all legal!...I have an SKS or two.

Quick Reply: stocks for an sks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.