Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope or rifled sights? >

Scope or rifled sights?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope or rifled sights?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Scope or rifled sights?

i just recently sent in my H&R shotgun to get a rifled barrle before gun season, and it is not drilled and tapped for a scope, it has rifled sights, i will be shooting no more than 100 yards.
thanks
mike
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 AM

Default RE: Scope or rifled sights?

Get you some sand bags and fire it from a bench just like you are sighting a rifle. Find out what the weapon is capable of and what your shooting abilities are. Practice, practice and practice some more until you are confident with the weapon.

If you cannot consistantly group 3 shots at 100 yards, then I would check into getting the gun drilled and tapped for a scope mount.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:16 AM

ok i will do that, but first i have to get it back from H&R, they custom fit the barrels to each gun.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: millerhunter13

i just recently sent in my H&R shotgun to get a rifled barrle before gun season, and it is not drilled and tapped for a scope, it has rifled sights, i will be shooting no more than 100 yards.
thanks
mike
What are "rifled sights" please?? A rifled bore, I can understand, but I have never seen spiral grooves cut in a sight??

I assume you meant iron, or open, sights?? If so, then by all means, USE A SCOPE!!Any functional scope is so superior to a set of iron sights, there is just no comparison at all!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 PM

well i am going to see if i need a scope i might not need one i have to see what the gun will be capable of first, but i am probaly going to go with a scope though, thanks for the help.
mike
Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not really what the gun is capable of off the bench. It's the vast improvement that a scope makes under real hunting conditions. I think all hunters/shooters should be able to shoot both kinds of sights and as youngsters should be taught both, but, iron sights are no match for a good scope. It's not really an accuracy issue as much as it is a "seeing" issue. Under low light conditions or if there are several animals in a group and you want to pick one out, or if there is a good bit of "cover", a scope is just simply far superior for "getting on target".
Old 09-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

My 870 is dead nuts on @ 100 yards with rifle sights! I personally see no need for a scope on my shotgun. I killed one at 12 yards and one at 87 yards no problems! The kill at 12 yards could of been tough with a scope on, happened pretty quick! I think your terrain has alot to do if you need a scope or not!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:07 AM

well if terrain was the main thing i wouldnt want a scope, i live in florida and its brushy.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think all hunters/shooters should be able to shoot both kinds of sights and as youngsters should be taught both, but, iron sights are no match for a good scope.
I agree, but when you get to be my age, the rear sight can never be far enough away from your eye (open sights). But a good, big aperture on the rear still works well.

The last elkk I shot was in heavy "black timber" on the side of a mountain in the White River National Forest. he was only 30 yards away, but if I had not had a scope on the rifle, I would never have been able to pick out a hole in the pine boughs that I could slip a bullet throught into his shoulder...... There are times when a scope helps immensely, even at close quarters in heavy brush!