Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin 22 mag >

Marlin 22 mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 22 mag

Old 01-17-2002, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Marlin 22 mag

I was at Wal Mart the other day and noticed a Marlin 22 mag, black stock, stainless barrel, with scope for $178. I've been looking for a mag for plinking, chucks up close and a squirrel/fox/coyote combo gun, and the price is right.

First off, are the new Marlins of the quality of the old ones. I have 2 gold trigger 39A .22's that are magnificent guns. Just wondering if these new bolt guns are also solid.

Secondly, what are the triggers like? I don't figure they're great out of the box, but are they a pain to adjust? I think they have the rounded drop that needs to be filed a little...but I'm not sure.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Old 01-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Marlin 22 mag

I have a Marlin 25MN that I bought about a year and a half ago. It is blued with a wood stock, but it is very solid. The out of the box trigger was very manageable so I didn't bother trying to adjust it. It shoots very well and is very accurate. The action is pretty smooth and is getting much better with use.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody know if Marlin makes this gun in a lefty model? It wouldn't kill me to have a right-handed bolt, but a lefty would be better.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody know if Marlin makes this gun in a lefty model? It wouldn't kill me to have a right-handed bolt, but a lefty would be better.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:47 AM

I have a marlin 882ssv 22mag its composite stock with the stainless bull barrel, I love it love it love it it groups great the triggers a little stiff but as soon as hunting seasons over im gonna have it worked , my uncle has the regular 882 which is the same gun only 22 long rifle and a gunsmith worked his trigger pretty cheap, its the best trigger ive ever felt no lie. hope this helps (p.s. buy it your not gonna regret it) oh and if thats a 882 ssv thats a great price I paid 214 before taxes without a scope guess i shoud have shopped a little longer but i had shot my uncle and figured the 22 mag would be the same and it was love it love it love it

A mans gotta believe in something I believe Ill go HUNTING
Old 01-18-2002, 10:50 AM

one more thing best shot ive made with it, one morning i wasnt seeing many squirrels and got bored i kept hearing crows when i finally saw them they were 80 yards away i got a good rest on a tree and squeezed off that crow never knew what hit him

A mans gotta believe in something I believe Ill go HUNTING