Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 useing self loaded ammo for self defense >

useing self loaded ammo for self defense

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

useing self loaded ammo for self defense

Old 08-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default useing self loaded ammo for self defense

i was watching a self defense show on the outdoor channel and they said to use factory loaded ammo not self loaded ammo for self defense (shooting someone ) because the lawyers could say you loaded them heavy so you could kill someone better which might get you the needle
is this true or bull
Old 08-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: useing self loaded ammo for self defense

Yes, there is a lot of truth to that.

A lawyer will argue anything to win the case regardless if it actually has any merit or not. If the jury is filled with a bunch of feel gooders that think that cops should only have guns and you loaded ammo specifically for killing a human being and actually did kill another human with that ammo you can see how it could turn real sour on you real quick.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just in case you're interested it also doesn't help if you have acient chinese scriptures carved into your bullet tips. The lawyers will have a field day with that too.

Tom
Old 08-17-2007, 11:43 AM
bigcountry

Like just about everything. It depends where you live. In Baltimore City, I don't care what you use, if you kill in self defense, the city's attorney will go after you.

If you live in Carroll County, MD or my old homePike Countyof Ky. They might ask you why you didn't put 5 more rounds into him.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Exactlybigcountry,
Here inNC, most LEA's will not prosecute a justifiable shooting of a perp.Most of the LEO's I know, and that is a lotfrom one end of the state to the other, all say the same thing: If you have to shoot them, then kill them, and make sure they are dead. That way there is only one story and one outcome.

On the other hand, a civil lawyer could (and probably would anyways)end up sueing you for some kind of wrongful death. If they know you used handloaded ammo, it could give them addiotnal ammo to use against you.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:52 PM

Just in case you're interested it also doesn't help if you have acient chinese scriptures carved into your bullet tips. The lawyers will have a field day with that too.
Great...now I have to throw away my whole stash! [:@]

Old 08-17-2007, 03:50 PM

you plan on killing someone anytime soon? lol j/k
Old 08-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard it can be used against you in court. Like others said it depends where you live. I will always use factory with a sealed primer just to make sure it goes off. I have had less miss fires with factory ammo, but that could be my reloads.

mello
Old 08-18-2007, 12:23 AM

You should never use hand loads for home defence. The City Attorney will eat you alive. Best advice I have ever gotten for this subject I got from a gun magazine and I verified with the local Sherrifs Department range cadre. Find out what your local or state police are using for ammo, and use the same thing. That way, if you ever have to shoot somebody, and the lawyers come after you, and try to use your ammo choice against you, you simply call the local law as your witness and ask them what they use. If you are using the same ammo, you should be good. If it is not excessive for them to use, then it isn't excessive for you to use.
if youare going to practice with the same ammo that you use for protection, then get 2 boxes. Load your defence ammo from one box and keep the rest of that box, DON"T SHOOT IT. Annotate on the box when you opened it, and how many rounds you took and for what. That way, if you shoot somebody, the forensics people have other bullets from the same box, batch, lot, whatever you want to call it. When you go to the range to practice, unload those defence rounds and shoot your other ammo.

Good luck. Hope this helps

Old 08-18-2007, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Long and short of it is you cannot ever be too careful when it comes to self defense.

Defending yourself from harm is often a lot easier and more straight forward than defending your freedom from a lawyer and 12 member panel of your peers.

Quick Reply: useing self loaded ammo for self defense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.