Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 270 For Elk? >

270 For Elk?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 For Elk?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Spike

Default RE: 270 For Elk?

$20 says your 150 grain Fusions will blow right through any elk within 300 yards. On the website, Federal claims that the manufacturing process eliminates component seperation. Make sure your friend can shoot, and as long as he doesn't try any severe angles he should be fine. If you're still concerned, Federal loads: 140gr. Accubond, 150gr. Partition, 130gr. TSX, 130gr. Partition, 140gr. Bear Claw, and140gr. High Energy Bear Claw. All of these willhandle any game animal in North America with proper placement. Most people tend to underestimate a well-placed shot with a quality bullet from a small to medium rifle. A friend of mine kills an elk every year with a 50-60 lb. longbow(he shoots several different ones in this weight range), wooden arrows, and Snuffer broadheads. He regularly shoots completely through elk, even when hitting ribs. My point is that if you can make a hole through an elk's heart and/or lungs, it will die. If youknow your friend's nephew can hit a target that size, let him have at it. A bigger gun won't make up for a poor shot.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Federal claims that the manufacturing process eliminates component seperation.
Ammunition manufacturers make many claims,but a good percentage don't hold water.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Maybe the tried and true Nosler Partition doesn't seem that sexy in the overall scheme of things anymore, but Federal still loads the 150 grain NP's in .270 Winchester. Can't really see that you need anymore than that as long as the elk gets shot somewhere in the chest cavity.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:58 PM
XTP

Couple years ago me and a buddy went for elk, both armed with .270's. Mine was fed 150 grain Hornady Interlock.
He took a huge bull, put two rounds of 150 grain Nosler Partitions into him and he only went a few yards. The second round was only because a neighboring property would not allow hunters on their land, even if to recover an animal. So the plan in that particular field was to keep shooting 'til it fell down. One pass through, one recovered on the far side... both through the vitals, end of story !!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Federal Premium 150gr Nosler Partitionor 130gr Barnes TSXFederal Premium would be my first choices.

Others:
Federal Premium140gr TBBC
Rem. Premier 140gr Aframe
Hornady Custom 150 gr Interlock SP
Winchester Supreme 140gr Failsafe (if you can find any)

I have personallyharvested elk and moose with the 270 win using 140gr failsafe and 150gr partition. Buddy of mine has shotthe majority ofhis elk and moose with the 270win, for as long as I have known him using only the 150 gr partition for everything. Never seen more then 1 hole in any of his animals, it's lungs or nothing with him. Key factors are placement, proper bullet and knowing yourlimitations.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:12 AM

What James B said: 150 gr. partitions
Old 08-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Federal claims that the manufacturing process eliminates component seperation.
Ammunition manufacturers make many claims,but a good percentage don't hold water.
My understanding is that the "jacket" on a Fusion is just a thick electro-plating of copper added to the core. If so, it is actually part of the core, and cannot slip off like a regular jacket. Therefore, Federal's claim is accurate!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

If so, it is actually part of the core, and cannot slip off like a regular jacket. Therefore, Federal's claim is accurate!
I prefer to see some actual recovered bullets before judging a bullet.As I said,some claims hold up,many don't.