Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

bullet weight

Old 01-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default bullet weight

How much does bullet weight effect penetration on game?

Old 01-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bullet weight

A bullet like a Barnes X retains most of it's mass when it enters and travels through an animal, and most offen leaves the body; it is able to do this because it retains most of it's mass. A bullet that retains most of it's mass has more momentum and retains more energy to push through the animal's body.

If you have a frangible bullet like a Hornady V-Max it will not compleately penetrate game because it was made to fragment, so it does not retain mass like a Barnes X. The Hornady V-Max bullet is made for varmint hunting.

A bullet's mass that stays together is very important if one wants optimum penetration. Sometimes one does not want total penetration. It all depends on what the situation calls for that's why bullets are constructed to stay together and some are not.

If you get a chance take a look at sectional density (SD), but remember a bullet can have the greatest (SD) possible, but if the bullet does not stay together and retain it's mass (SD) will do nothing for you. I hope I did not confuse you too much. Good luck.

Edited by - handloader1 on 01/02/2003 23:26:35
Old 01-03-2003, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

the weight of the bullet ,the design ,the construction ,and speed are all contributing factors determining penetration . weight helps but isn't the only consideration .You would have to consider all parts to determine what percentage the weight contributed .Or just make a big guess.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:22 AM

i think it depends on how far your shots are. most bullets ( premuim or non premium ) will exit light skinned game depending on what you want your buulet to do.
i would think a heavier bullet will exit better under higher velocities since it has more bullet to it. if i went for a smaler grain bullet i would defiantly pick a premium bullet.

Old 01-03-2003, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Construction is far more important than weight where penetration is concerned.A bullet like the failsafe or barnes x can be much lighter than a conventioal lead core bullet and still penetrate much more.Years ago most bullets were of conventional construction and heavier bullets were needed for increased penetration.With the new bullets available that is no longer the case.