Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Benelli Nova - Opinions please >

Benelli Nova - Opinions please

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Benelli Nova - Opinions please

Old 07-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Benelli Nova - Opinions please

Last night our NWTF chapter had it's first annual banquet and as it seemed nothing could go my way as far as bidding went, I managed to win a Team NWTF Benelli Nova pump shotgun. Not too shabby for $20 worth of raffle tickets.

I'm basically just looking into what others opinions are of this shotgun. I currently have a Mossberg 835 Thumbhole Turkey Series and now, well...the Benelli. From what I've read at various sites, people complain about the recoil (IT'S A PUMP FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!) and that the mercury recoil suppression system isn't worth it - just to get a Limbsaver recoil pad due to the current butt plate being hard plastic. Okay, the norm.

I noticed that it rattled as much as my Mossberg 835 did, however, that has already been resolved thanks to a fellow NWTF member's insight. A few twists of an allen wrench and no more rattle. She's as quiet as can be.

Well, I have a lot of respect for people that post here - I've taken heed of much advise to my pleasure on this forum and thought I'd seek input on the Nova. Any likes, dislikes, quirks, etc. are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:14 PM

Default RE: Benelli Nova - Opinions please

They are good guns, built well and really smooth actions. I just can't get over how ugly they are. The only other downside is the cost of barrels if you wanted to get a slug barrel or something for it. If you can find one they are pretty pricey, like you could get a new gun instead. Sort of like my A-5.

I think you will really like, especially considering what you paid for it.

Paul
Old 07-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want to sell it let me know.

Is it the Nova or the Super Nova? What barrel length?

I think the Nova series is about as good as pump shotguns can get.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

It's the Nova with a 26" barrel. Yeah, I noticed the slug barrels are up there in price, but should I opt to go the route of the slug, I'll just get another barrel for my Mossberg.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never owned the Nova, but I owned the Super Nova. I think the only difference is the recoil system. I might be wrong. But I'm not wrong that it was the best pump shotgun that I ever owned. It shot much like the 870's I've owned but it was a little smoother andwas much easier to clean.It will be the best 20 bucks you'll ever spend, until you win the lottery! Congratulations!!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

I have one for waterfowl and I love it. I put a lot of 3.5" heavy shot through mine and it has never failed me. Great gun, super easy to field strip, and very smooth. It has been demoted to my beater gun when I got the SBEII with comfortech but it is a great gun.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can fix the rattling? I might have to PM you sometime if I get one to kill the rattling, lol, the rattling really bothered me when I was at the gun store, since if I got a Nova, I would get it for turkey.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

There are two allen screws on the pump (one on each side) that can be tightened to get rid of the rattle. Mine is as quiet as can be now.