Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder ? >

Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder ?

Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder ?

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf
Old 07-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder ?

Didn't read it...I prefer to teach firearm safety in public schools and have everyone apply for a concealed carry permit, that way the bad guys don't know who to stay away from.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

This Article has reviewed a significant amount of evidence
from a wide variety of international sources. Each individual
portion of evidence is subject to cavil—at the very least the
general objection that the persuasiveness of social scientific
evidence cannot remotely approach the persuasiveness of
conclusions in the physical sciences. Nevertheless, the burden
of proof rests on the proponents of the more guns equal
more death and fewer guns equal less death mantra, especially
since they argue public policy ought to be based on
that mantra.
149 To bear that burden would at the very least
require showing that a large number of nations with more
guns have more death and that nations that have imposed
stringent gun controls have achieved substantial reductions
in criminal violence (or suicide). But those correlations are
not observed when a large number of nations are compared
across the world.
I like it statjunk. I'll admit I couldn't read thru the whole thing but the conclusion was good.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know how to really answer this question, well yes I do, NO!!!!!!!!!!!, a firearm is like a 1/2" wrench, nothing more than just a TOOL!!!!!!. To take the firearm out of the equasion does nothing more than change the tool to be used. Human emotion is the thing that needs banning, the laws we already have would do the job if our nation was not so politicly correct, if our judges did their job and kept the criminals behind bars. To take the firearms away would only give the criminal a leg up on the law abbiding citezen, look at it this way, 1994 our government decided to take our rights away by banning pistol grips, threaded barrels, high capasity mags, and bayonet lugs, what crimes did this stop, "well I didnt hear of any driveby beyonettings" NONE!!!. Now lets just say the pretend world really exsisted, instead of being mugged at gunpoint, you would be mugged with a knife, baceball bat, or anything else that could be used as a weapon, until these as#holes are delt with we will have this problem for all time, just because the other countries dont air their dirty laundry doesnt mean it isnt going on, too many people think they are in THE PERFECT WORLD, wake up people befor it is too late.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

America's First Freedom, the NE version,a magazine published by the NRA for those not familiar, just did an article on that. I have reason to believe that their study is conclusive enough to show, through not only our own country's statistics, but other countries with fewer guns as well, that the outlawing of guns would NOT lead to less murders or suicides.

Long before there were guns people were still raping, killing, and taking their own lives. Humans will continue to do so with or without guns.

For example. A gun is a tool, much like a hammer. You want to drive a nail into a wall. But you have no hammer because they have been outlawed. Is that really going to stop you from finding something else to drive that nail into the wall if you're dead set on doing it? Probably not. Take away guns, people will just keep doing what they do best in other ways.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: devil dog
a firearm is like a 1/2" wrench, nothing more than just a TOOL!!!!!!.
I've made a more significant investment in my firearms than my 1/2" wrenches, though
Old 07-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: rem 700

ORIGINAL: devil dog
a firearm is like a 1/2" wrench, nothing more than just a TOOL!!!!!!.
I've made a more significant investment in my firearms than my 1/2" wrenches, though
i agree
Old 07-24-2007, 04:22 PM

NO, But if you take away cars there would definatly be less death. Instead of taking away somrething that is dangerous, teach responsability. They do that with cars.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Spike

In a word the answer is NO.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 PM

I retired from New Orleans Police. The city has laws against possessing firearms within the city limits without a permit, and they didn't issue permits. Criminals still had guns, lots of them. The only time we ever confiscated any assault-type weapons was when they were being used to protect large quantities of narcotics. I took many guns from criminals during my career, and not once did any of them have a right to own a firearm. The vast majority of armed robberies were commited with handguns, not assault rifles. We also had a big problem around the holidays with home invasions. Criminals knew law-abiding citizens were probably not armed, so busting into their house while they were at home was no big deal. Oh yeah, my last year working we had about 260 murders for the year(pre-Katrina population 410,000).

Something else I learned, if a criminal can't get a gun to rob you with, he will use a knife or some kind of club. Since the knife and club don't make a big noise when you use them, the robber is more likely to use them on his victim in the course of the crime, just for fun.

Quick Reply: Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.