Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no? >

Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Actually, I'm going to try the Winchester Supreme 180 gr. Accubond for .300WM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer Accubonds, basically a BST with a heavier jacket. Love 'em Hornady's SSTs are also a good sub for a polymer tipped bullet with a bit heavier jacket.
I have sectioned both the.308" 180gr ballistic tip and 180gr accubond,and the jackets appear to be identical thickness on both.Both have thicker jackets than the 180gr sst.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have things that I like better for what I do, but I've killed plenty of animals with Ballistic Tips, both the orginal super explosive ones, and the newer reinforced ones.

I don't use them anymore, but I wouldn't worry if it was all I had on a hunt. They have done fine for me, and they have always shot very well out of my rifles.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper
I have sectioned both the.308" 180gr ballistic tip and 180gr accubond,and the jackets appear to be identical thickness on both.Both have thicker jackets than the 180gr sst.
The accubonds have a heavier taper. The interlock ring on the sst also makes for a more controlled bullet.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM
bigcountry

I have sectioned the BT and accubond too and find a very noticable heavy jacket near the shank compared to the BT

Old 07-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not truly fussy about what I use for deer and pronghorns.....they are not very difficult to tip over. I've been using SST with good performance and I've used BTs as well....same thing...dead deer.

It's when I hunt the bigger stuff I want a little better bullet.....something bonded......like Northforks and A-Frames.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

The accubonds have a heavier taper. The interlock ring on the sst also makes for a more controlled bullet.
I have sectioned the BT and accubond too and find a very noticable heavy jacket near the shank compared to the BT
In most weights yes,but not in the .308" 180gr bullets that I sectioned.The nosler ballistic points vary considerably in jacket thickness depending on caliber and weight.Compare the accubond and ballistic tips below for yourself.Of course the picture only shows one angle,but after a thorough comparison of the actual bullets,the jacket thicknesses appear to be identical.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:35 AM
bigcountry

Pretty interesting. I secitoned the 140gr .284, and they looked different.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC... I read on a couple of other boards that the 120 gr BT actually has a little heavier jacket than the 140 gr BT in .284. This doesnt sound possible....any ideas? I guess it could be possible...just doesnt seem likely. If that was the case the 120 grain bt would be an awesome deer bullet for something like the 7-08.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC... I read on a couple of other boards that the 120 gr BT actually has a little heavier jacket than the 140 gr BT in .284. This doesnt sound possible....any ideas? I guess it could be possible...just doesnt seem likely. If that was the case the 120 grain bt would be an awesome deer bullet for something like the 7-08.
That is true.If I remember right(it was a long time ago that I heard this),this bullet was a popular choice for silhouette shooting but it came apart too easily and didn't transfer enough energy to the targets.Nosler responded by beefing it up.I have taken both deer and black bear with this bullet out of my 7mm-08.A friend even uses it out of his 7mmremmag for deer.

Quick Reply: Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.