Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Leadshot vs Sandbags.................. >

Leadshot vs Sandbags..................

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leadshot vs Sandbags..................

Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Leadshot vs Sandbags..................

Over the years I've found that I prefer using a 25lb bag of lead birdshot instead of a sandbag.This was before I had a mechanical rest.Now with my Shooter's Ridge Tri-stance rifle rest,I also fill the rabbit ear bag up front with #8 shot instead of sand.It is rock solid and seems to grip the forend.The rear bag is also lead shot filled and doesn't wander or slide around on the benches surface like sand that has a way of leaking out.Anybody else tried this or has something better? Harold
Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leadshot vs Sandbags..................

I use basicly the same thing. When they outlawed lead shot for water fowl in our province I still had pounds and pounds of it yet to load so I put it in some nice canvas bags and I have used them as shooting rests ever since. Far better than sand.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that's a good move. The lead is far more dense than the sand, and naturally should provide a more stable rest. Just a little heavier to lug to the bench. Got kids?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, they cut the grass and shovel the snow also. Then again 2 sets of the "right" runners for school will cost me about $300 this year.