Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Reccomendations for an AR-15/10 >

Reccomendations for an AR-15/10

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Reccomendations for an AR-15/10

Old 07-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reccomendations for an AR-15/10

I haven't kept up much on the newest innovations of the various ARs but I'm now looking to purchase one and my main source of advice on ARs is a DPMS dealer so I know he can't be trusted totally

What I plan on using it for is (ranked by importance):

1. Self defense
2. General target shooting (at ranges beyond 400 yards)
3. Possibly some hunting (deer,elk,bear,yotes etc)

There are serveral good companies that all produce fairly high quality ARs (DPMS, Bushmaster, S&W. Cobb, Knight, etc).

I'm just looking for some reccomendations from those of you that have purchased one.

I'll be getting a carbine with adjustable stock but any overall comments about quality and the companies are welcome, even if you didn't buy exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reccomendations for an AR-15/10

Brutal,

I'd say the best companies are Bushmaster, Colt and Rock River. The Rock River's that I've seen are very nice but pretty pricey. I've had three of them over the years and I would say if you intend to shoot at ranges beyond 400 yards you're going to need a target model with a heavy barrel. So any AR that is made for long distance wouldn't be all that great for self defense. From a self defense perspective you'd want the smallest AR possible, the shorty. Thereby decreasing accuracy. Also if you plan on hunting deer and bear you'll need to get a non .223 rifle.

I have one for sale or trade in the Classifieds but it is a shorty.

Tom

Old 07-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah i realize the caliber difference I'm no newbie.

I just don't know if I can find a carbine short enough in .308. I can sacrifice big game capability if I can't find what I want.

DPMS makes one but I don't care much for it.

The front runner right now is Knight's SR-15 it's amazing. http://www.knightarmco.com/sr_15_16.html

I could also get a 6.8mm PPC carbine from DPMS for under $1k. Too bad that's a worthless caliber.

As far as your reccomendation of a heavy barreled model. I don't think it's necessary. A carbine can certainly provide servicable accuracy out to 400 yards. I'm not asking for 1/4 MOA accuracy or I'd be using my LTR.

Heavy barrel would kinda defeat my #1 purpose as well as portability.

I'll check out Rock River.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a RR Arms Varminter in .223 Remington cartridge. It will shoot under 2 inches at 300 yards. And right at three inches at 400 yards(ON A RELATIVELY CALM DAY). I consider 400 yards to be the effective outside range for the .223 Remington. For ground hog hunting that is pushing it. Ground hog's hit at 400 yards can and do run to the holes without a double tap. I have never shot PD's with it-so I can not speak of it.

I would in no way consider the rifle a personal defense weapon. Too heavy, too much scope, and too long(20 inch HB). I have a 16 inch upper with a collapsible stock, and open sighted. Very effective with my shooting abilities to 200 yards, MAX.

I have been considering a 260 Remington upper with a 24 inch barrel-also looking at a 25WSSM like Ridge Runner's(not sure about that cartridge). I should be able to get past 400 yards with this rig-but again not a personal defense weapon.

My suggestion is the Springfield SOCOM. That is definitely my next purchase. I shoot one on a regular basis. .308 Cartridge-so there is no problem with distance. It handles like a dream. All it needed was trigger work. It has the shorter barrel so it is fantastic for personal defense. It also has the Picatinney rail allowing for fast and secure sighting tool changes.

I personally do not like the AR-10. I am not knocking the rifle-it is one fine firearm. It is just that I have shot the AR-10 and the SOCOM. And IMO there is no comparison. SOCOM all the way. Tom.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I have a RR Arms Varminter in .223 Remington cartridge. It will shoot under 2 inches at 300 yards. And right at three inches at 400 yards(ON A RELATIVELY CALM DAY). I consider 400 yards to be the effective outside range for the .223 Remington. For ground hog hunting that is pushing it. Ground hog's hit at 400 yards can and do run to the holes without a double tap. I have never shot PD's with it-so I can not speak of it.

I would in no way consider the rifle a personal defense weapon. Too heavy, too much scope, and too long(20 inch HB). I have a 16 inch upper with a collapsible stock, and open sighted. Very effective with my shooting abilities to 200 yards, MAX.

I have been considering a 260 Remington upper with a 24 inch barrel-also looking at a 25WSSM like Ridge Runner's(not sure about that cartridge). I should be able to get past 400 yards with this rig-but again not a personal defense weapon.

My suggestion is the Springfield SOCOM. That is definitely my next purchase. I shoot one on a regular basis. .308 Cartridge-so there is no problem with distance. It handles like a dream. All it needed was trigger work. It has the shorter barrel so it is fantastic for personal defense. It also has the Picatinney rail allowing for fast and secure sighting tool changes.

I personally do not like the AR-10. I am not knocking the rifle-it is one fine firearm. It is just that I have shot the AR-10 and the SOCOM. And IMO there is no comparison. SOCOM all the way. Tom.

I'm a little confused. Isn't the SOCOM a m1? I'm not looking for an M1.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are right-I have no experience with that rifle.The are two rifle's that Iown, that can compare(quality) with the Socom. The H&K model 91, and the FN-FAL. My H&K can not be beat when it comes to accuracy. It is the berries, but IMO it does not handle as well as the SOCOM for as you call it personal defense. The rifle wears a straight 6 power Zeiss scope. You do not have the sight options with the H&K that the SOCOM has. And as far as the FN-FAL. It is strictly(IMO) an open sighted military weapon. The carry handle is extremely convenient. I would not consider this a close quarters defense weapon, but in the field, it is the ****.

The problem with these rifles is the pricing. I bought all my H&K's and other fireams in the 80's and early 90's. You could buy an H&K 91 in great condition for $600. I gave $700 for my FN-FAL. I have no idea what they sell for today, but I am sure it is 3 or 4 times that price.

I believe alot of thought went into building the SOCOM. It seems to fit into so many niche's. And how can you beat a .308 cartridge??? Tom.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 PM

Really Rock River doesn't have to be that much more expensive than the other brands. I got my RRA Tactial Entry model for 899 plus shipping brand new in pacakge on gunbroker.com. I could tell you the guy i got it from if you decide to go that way. He's a stocking dealer, and seems to have about everything in stock most of the time. That is 115 bucks below the price on the RRA website.

I love the gun. I did research forever before buying, and so many people that i talked to said that you can't go wrong with the Rock River Guns. Not knocking some of the other brands, i'm sure they make good guns too.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: robinsok

Really Rock River doesn't have to be that much more expensive than the other brands. I got my RRA Tactial Entry model for 899 plus shipping brand new in pacakge on gunbroker.com. I could tell you the guy i got it from if you decide to go that way. He's a stocking dealer, and seems to have about everything in stock most of the time. That is 115 bucks below the price on the RRA website.

I love the gun. I did research forever before buying, and so many people that i talked to said that you can't go wrong with the Rock River Guns. Not knocking some of the other brands, i'm sure they make good guns too.
thanks that is also good info.

I looked at the RR carbines and they weren't that much cheaper than the basic Knight so it kinda turned me off.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to a gun show and my local dealer, and the SOCOM's there aren't .308 Win, they're .30-06 Springfield.

You didn't say ".308 caliber", you said, ".308 cartridge", which the SOCOM isn't.

Why do you not like the DMPS? Think it's too cheaply made? If so, I understand that, that's why I didn't get a Savage.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

You didn't say ".308 caliber", you said, ".308 cartridge", which the SOCOM isn't.

Ya might want to research that somemore or actually get your hands on one. I'll give you a hint. look for Springfield Armory under SOCOM.

Quick Reply: Reccomendations for an AR-15/10

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.