Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 AR-15 Accuracy >

AR-15 Accuracy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR-15 Accuracy

Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 AM
bigcountry

Default AR-15 Accuracy

My AR, a bushmaster 16" shorty carbine A3 upperwith M4 barrel shoots about 4-5MOA at 100 yards with my EOTech sight. I shot 62gr wolf FMJ, 55gr Wolf FMJ, 55gr Wolf HP, and M193, and M855. The 55gr wolf FMJ shot the best. About 3.5MOA at 100 yards.

Is this about what I can expect with the cheap ammo? I can deal with that, as its a bang bang fun gun, but expected it to at least get 2MOA. But with the EOTech, it might be me. It has some parallax at 200 yards I notice.

Not sure whether to reload for it. I have 2000 rounds to go thru. I would buy some Black hills or quality ammo, but not sure if its going to shoot better.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AR-15 Accuracy

You NEED to RELOAD and work up a load with conventional scope mounted,THEN mount your cqc sight. If it didn't do better than that,I'd have it apart faster than you could blink modifying/changing/accurizing it!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

With the M193 and 885, you should be doing 2" at 100yards easily. Have youtried mounting a regular scope? If not, I would, if only for discovering the guns accuracy potential and what ammo if prefers.
Yea, thats what I am thinking. I knew it wouldn't be a tack driver, but didn't expect minute of pumpkin.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not shoot the inexpensive ammo in my rifle-so I can not speak to it. I do shoot The Black Hills, Red Box, 50 grain V-Max Varmint in my RR Varminter. I am very impressed with th BH accuracy. I can shoot 2 inch(just under), 5 shot groups at 300 yards. That is as good as I can shoot. I do not doubt that it would shoot better. I have been reloading for 30 years, and I consider myself to be fairly proficient at reloading. I do not think I could get much more out of my RR by reloading. I bought a bunch on sale. And I am about to buy a whole bunch more(IMO the price is about to rise drastically again). I reload for every centerfire I can think of, except for my RR Varminter. Tom.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I do not shoot the inexpensive ammo in my rifle-so I can not speak to it. I do shoot The Black Hills, Red Box, 50 grain V-Max Varmint in my RR Varminter. I am very impressed with th BH accuracy. I can shoot 2 inch(just under), 5 shot groups at 300 yards. That is as good as I can shoot. I do not doubt that it would shoot better. I have been reloading for 30 years, and I consider myself to be fairly proficient at reloading. I do not think I could get much more out of my RR by reloading. I bought a bunch on sale. And I am about to buy a whole bunch more(IMO the price is about to rise drastically again). I reload for every centerfire I can think of, except for my RR Varminter. Tom.

I know your gun should shoot, but kinda wondering about the chrome lined bushmasters with m4 barrel.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:40 PM

I shoot a sporter AK chambered in .223 and I use the Wolf ammo all the time at the range. It is not very accurate ammunition. The best luck I have had with the cheap stuff is the Silver Bear 62gr. HP. The better ammo really shrinks the groups up, especially with the 16 inch barrel and semi-auto format.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

BC,

I don't shoot wolf. Mainly the Winchester white box and I'm getting much better accuracy than that. Maybe buy a box or two of some better stuff to see how it fairs.

Tom
Old 07-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't shoot wolf either. I would try the South African .308 surplus stuff. I've had goo results with it in my LTR. It's probably very similar to Lake City.

I've heard some sketchy things about Bushmasters.....
Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 AM
bigcountry

Hey guys, its not only about wolf. I shot M193, and 855 thru it. I have also shot the crap PMP south african crap, and remington. Question is, does any one else have the Bushmaster Chrome Lined 16" Shorty Carbine and if they do, how is yours shooting? I realize RR and Bushmaster DCM comp, and others shoot like noones business. But they are a totally different gun. You can't compare the two.

Tom, what kinda AR do you have?

Brut, you don't even own one. Give us a break.

Quick Reply: AR-15 Accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.