Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 243 how far ? >

243 how far ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

243 how far ?

Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 PM

Default RE: 243 how far ?

Just try it. Experience matters. Be a scientist er... somewhat a reasonable facsimile there of (Curly Howard). Deer will fall to a 243 no doubt in my mind. I have witnessed it.Just look at the bullet. Realize 20 gauge or 12 gauge. You are the one pulling the trigger. Stay inside 200 yards for good kills. JMO.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Zerexpilot....yeah, I know that PLENTY of deer have been killed with sub-1000 lb. energy guns. All I asked is if anyone wantee to talk and defend or debate the 1000 lbs. theory. The man wanted to know, as I understood it, how far you could kill a deer with a .243. Most of the ballisticians and big time hunters have touted the 1000 lb. rule. That rule being that it NORMALLY takes that much energy to be sure that you have enough at that rsnge to quickly and effectively do the job.
With that said, I am not defending or decrying the statement, simply asking for opinions.
Do you also feel that a .410 with punkinballs is an adequate deer gun, just because some people have killed deer with it?
It's been hashed out here many times, some get it, some learn and some are just hard headed. Fact is , bullet kinetic energy never killed anything, never will either.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

my buddy hunted with a 243 for a good couple years. his shots were always 250-550. no joke he dropped a couple at 550. i wouldnt believe it but his dad was there. showed me where they sat, where the deer were and handed me the range finder. they are into long range hunting. thats just what they like to do. the spot they hunt is an ollld stripmine...they sit up on a giant grassy hill and shoot to the bottom and the next grassy hill. its all about knowing your weapon and practicing with it. they would setup targets as far out there as they could and shoot...