Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 accuracy of semi-auto? >

accuracy of semi-auto?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

accuracy of semi-auto?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default accuracy of semi-auto?

ive been hunting for a new rifle. many have crossed my mind, and i have discluded the rem. 700 BDL, the ruger M77, and Browning A-Bolt. i am 99.9% sure that the Browning Automatic Rifle LongTrac is for me. but accuracy is a concern. i know that bolt action rifles have better accuracy than semi-autos, but ive read that this rifle has accuracy that can compete with high-end bolt action rifles, but i cant always believe the retailer. does anyone have an answer???
Old 07-03-2007, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: accuracy of semi-auto?

Of the BARs I've seen others use (and it's not a lot) the accuracy has been totally worthy of hunting rifles. They also seem to be quite reliable making them a good choice for a semi auto rifle.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

go with the bolt.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

For accuracy go with a bolt! Bolts are also easier to keep clean, and take care of. Lots less to go wrong with a bolt!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you ever come across a Browning BARSafari semi-auto, get it, I hear great things about it, and the BOSS system, if you learn how to use it, can really make up for accuracy problems, and it serves as a muzzlebreak as well. If you don't want the muzzlebreak, then get the Conventional Recoil BOSS, that gives you accuracy, but keeps recoil.

If you get the BOSS system, which works, my dad has one, the auto-loader accuracy problem won't be an issue. I have seen the BOSS system work while sighting in the BOSS system, and anyone who says it doesn't work has spaghetti instead of a brain.

For the record, I'm a Remington man myself, but I know Browning is a fine product, just like Remington.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

im a remington fan myselfbolts are my gun of choice, but if i can get a semi auto with bolt accuracy, it would greatly help my shooting experience because of the reduced recoil. my neighbor down the street has a bar safari in 7mm. ive never seen him shoot it.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of terrain are you hunting (location?) and what is your intended game? If you are hunting in the east/south where most shots are under 150 yards it doesn't make a hoot what sort of action you have. But if you are hunting speed goats at 400 yards or wanting to do a little benchrest....you might want to go a different route. Semi's in general are plenty accurate enough to get the job done, just don't expect a one-holer.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

im in south carolina. and you're right, my average shot is around 150. What about 200 yard shots? last year from my tower stand i shot a deer from about 210 yds with my bolt. do you think a semi could handle that?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:17 AM

I knew a couple of guys that used to get good results out of the Russian Tigr semi-autos. They are made by Izhmash and might be worth a look. I know they were hitting 1 liter bottles at 500, but I'm also pretty sure they did some work on the guns to get them to do it. I shoot a Russian Saiga built by the same company. It is a carbine model chambered for .223. It shoots pretty good groups out to 200, but after that it gets a little wild even with the good ammo. I'm sure if I had some work done to it, I could get smaller groups, but I don't hunt where I can see 300 yards, much less take a shot that long, so it works. If you are a real stickler for accuracy, bolt action or single shot is the way to go.

Quick Reply: accuracy of semi-auto?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.