Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Gun Expert question >

Gun Expert question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Expert question

Old 12-26-2002, 10:09 AM

Default Gun Expert question

I recently inherited a couple of old guns that I want to fix up and was wondering if anyone might know if they might be worth anything. I'll probably use the 20 gauge for rabbits and just clean up the other one for a spare, but heres what I can get off of them:

Ranger, model 30, 20 gauge, pump
Targeteer, model 265, .22lr, bolt

Thanks to anyone who can give me any insight on these guns, they are both in fair shape and I hope that after I clean them and redo the wood that they will last me awhile, but I've had a hard time finding any info on these. The most I have found is that the Targeteer was made by H&R and that's been it. Anyone know who made the Ranger? I don't think it's Winchester but have failed to find any other markings on it. Thanks again, JR
Old 12-26-2002, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Gun Expert question

Your Ranger is a pump action shotgun, made by Stevens for Montgomery Wards... the original model number used by Stevens was the 520-a.
I'm not sure about the Targeteer...

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 12-26-2002, 11:11 AM

Gun traders guide shows a H&R model 265 "Reg'lar" ten shot detatchable magazine, 22lr, 22inch barrel, weight about 6 1/2 lbs, Lyman55 rear peep sight, blade on ramp front, plain pistol grip stock made 1946-1949 Value $80 Does that sound like yours?

Old 12-26-2002, 11:47 AM

Yep, that sounds like it, 10 round detachable mag and the weight is about right. I'm probably gonna take it to the gunsmith and have him work on the mechanicals and I'll take the stock off and refinish it myself. I kinda like it better than my remington 597 already so maybe this one will get more use than that one. At least I won't be scared to scratch it in the woods!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:37 AM

you are welcome...

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana