Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I need info. on measuring specs. on guns. >

I need info. on measuring specs. on guns.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need info. on measuring specs. on guns.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Default I need info. on measuring specs. on guns.

I have a Browning 12 ga. , a-5, made in 1929. I also have a sweet 16 made in 1966. I am considering selling them, and I need to know how to measure the barrel to describe the guns accurately... ie...27" , 28" or what.... I am not familiar enough to know these things, but I want to give accurate info.

Also, on the same note, what else would I need to give as far as desirable info that any prospective buyers would want or need?

I thank you ahead of time for your assistance.

God Bless

MichaelT.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I need info. on measuring specs. on guns.

For the most part shotguns came with barrels of even number length. It is unusual to find a 25 inchor 27 inch barrel. If those guns are in really good shape they are worth a good bit of money. Do not let them go cheap.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Barrel length is measured from breechface to muzzle. Close the action of the gun, run a long cleaning rod or wooden dowel down the muzzle until it hits the bolt face, mark it at the muzzle, withdraw the rod and measure it.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:41 AM

How much do you want for the sweet 16? Does it physically say "Sweet 16" on the action?There are a lot of 16 guages that aren't true sweet 16's. Tell me about the barrel. is it ribbed or not. if its ribbed is it solid or vented ribs. Belgium made I would assume. what is the overall Condition? metal? wood? ever been refinished? I would be interested in this piece myself depending on the answer to these questions, and provided with some pictures.