Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Guns
 Info on old guns please! >

Info on old guns please!

Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

Info on old guns please!

Old 04-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Info on old guns please!

I received 3 old guns today and would appreciate any information you may be able to give. Info on value, production dates etc appreciated.

#1 .22 caliber Single shot rifle
Remington 510 Targetmaster
50% condition Mechanically fine

#2 .410 single shot shotgun
Wards Hercules Model 11
50% condition Mechanically fine

#3 12 gauge side by side muzzleloader shotgun
J. Richards engraved on each side
Wire S.twist engraved on rib
This gun has quite a bit of engraving on it but now is in rough condition.

The last one may have some history behind it. I'd love to be able to use it one day.

Thank you!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Info on old guns please!

I always recommend that periodically, many people should consider buying a copy of The Blue Book Of Gun Values. This is probably the best reference of gun values available and is updated annually. The Remington 510 is an inexpensive single shot that even in 100% condition might only fetch $175. In this case you describe a fairly well used gun of about 50% condition. The Blue Book only goes down to 60% condition that might bring $70-$80. So you're looking at maybe $60 or so. The Ward Model 11 was a crossover made by one of several manufacturers like Mossberg, Stevens or Nobel. I couldn't find the Model 11 so I am not sure of the value in this condition. But again, probably in the $60-$70 range for a 50% condition gun. Muzzle loaders are not covered in the edition of Blue Book that I have, but I would venture to guess that it is English. Unfortunately you describe a rough condition to this gun as well and unless the old smoke poles were fairly well maintained, they present a safety hazard to fire. In any event, I have seen rough double smoke poles that have a decent cosmetic appearance sell for $100 for a wall hanger. Perhaps some others have a better idea on these guns than I do. Good Luck.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Info on old guns please!

Thanks, I found some info on the Remington and Hercules guns.

I was not able to find anything yet on the J. Richards double ML shotgun. It has been passed down in my wife's family and the story about it tells that one of her family used it in the Civil War. It is a smoothbore of about .80 inches.

How about the marking of Wire S. Twist?

Thanks again.