Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is the 7mm. Rem. Mag dieing? >

Is the 7mm. Rem. Mag dieing?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the 7mm. Rem. Mag dieing?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is the 7mm. Rem. Mag dieing?

neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol but do know lots of folks goin the other route ultra mags and short mags all comes down 2 personal prefrence shoot what u like is my prefrence i recently leanintwo the .280 almost everything a 7mmag has butwith less recoil
Old 05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Typical Buck

Not in colorado, it is real popular for the mountains and plains hunters. I like it alot and have kinda owned one in the past. I almost bough one 6 months ago and opted for the WSM version mostly because I wanted 7mm MAG performance in a short action package. The 7mm rem mag will be around as long as I am alive. It always seems it does good at what the 270 could be marginal for and I ama HUGE 270 fan. EJ
Old 05-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 7mm is experiencing slow sales now because of all the new calibers out there. It will bounce back. It is one of the best big game rifles in existence.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:27 AM

The 7 Mag is here and is only getting better, my friend
Old 05-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I get a REAL LAUGH every time I hear that the "experts regard the 7 Mag as on the light side for elk"!! For elephant, perhaps........
Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Naaaa, the 7mm mag isn't going anywhere. It's easily one of the top 5 calibers in my area and still the most common magnum people are using. Sales may have dipped a bit during the recent short mag craze but the short magsseem to be the ones fading away in my neck of the woods.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

The 7 Rem Mag is here to stay. A good choice for anything in North America with the exception of the great bears and will do fine for alot of plains animals on the Dark Continent.
Maybe that particular store doesn't sell to many but I can assure you they still sell well and you'd be hard pressed going to any hunting camp in season and not seeing a 7 or two being use weather for deer or elk. You want to talk calibers that might not be around in a few years down the road are the Ultra offerings along with the 204. Remington introduced the 5mm Mag in the early 70's and manufactured and sold 60,000 guns and stopped producing ammo. IMHO the round was equal if not better than the current 17 but fell by the wayside.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I get a REAL LAUGH every time I hear that the "experts regard the 7 Mag as on the light side for elk"!! For elephant, perhaps........

Yea, seriously, if that's light, then what IS sufficient? I'm pretty sure a gun that can hold as true as a 7 rem mag and have enough oomph to knock an elk out past 400 yds is sufficient. I personally own one and really like the performance. I think the SA mags might decline but won't leave either. Too many people want a short action for that'Quicker second shot' instead of learning to shoot true.

Who's this mysterious "EXPERT"?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I laugh even harder when those same "experts" that say the 7mm Rem Mag is lightrecommend the 30-06 is the minimum for elk.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in no way an expert on elk. I have been to a dozen or more elk camps in my life. The "expert's" that I speak of are the guides in elk camp. And YES I consider them experts. I am not talking about gun writers. All, I repeat ALL, the elk guides that I have hunted with have told me two things consistently. 1. The larger the caliber a hunter can handle-the better. 2. Always put asecond round into the animal, if you can. IMO this is good advice. I can promise you a guide would rather hunt with a hunter who can shoot a 338 Win. Mag. over a 7mm Rem. I have alot of friend's who elk hunt all the time(I can no longerhunt elk), and they tell me that they are seeing more and more 375 H&H's, in elk camp.

If a hunter can not handle a larger caliber rifle, then that hunter will probably also have a problem with the 7 mag. as well. I can not argue with common sense. And common sense should tell you that bigger is better.

Flat shooting is not all it is cracked up to be. If you practice with your rifle enough to be effective with it at 300 or 400 yards. Then you should be able to handle the recoil of an elk caliber. And you shouldknow your rifle well enough to be able to make calculations concerning your trajectory. And the 7mag. with a 175 grain bullet(elk bullet), is not point blank at these ranges.The larger caliber's-like the 338 Winnie are flatter shooting at the longer distances, past 300 yards. Tom.

Quick Reply: Is the 7mm. Rem. Mag dieing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.