Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Carry Question? >

Carry Question?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Carry Question?

Old 05-11-2007, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Carry Question?

I usually only have what the mag holds. If the mag holds 12 then there is 11 in the mag and 1 in the hole. Its easier for me to keep track of ammo that way. I have 2 that are loaded completely with the mag full and 1 in the hole but they are in the house 95% of the time. And as to what Staticjunk said that the spring gets weak after keeping ammo in it for a long time that si prob true but i have a pistol that both mags have been full 99% of there life (the gun and mags are older then me) and the spiring are still very stiff when you get to the last few rounds. I wouldnt worry about the spring getting weak.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think what luckydog was trying to get at is "is it safe?" to carry with one in the chamber beings how there is no safety.

Look at it this way lucky. Just consider it the same as a revolver, there is no safety on a revolver - right? The Sigma needs to have the trigger fully stroked to cock and release the hammer, same as a revolver.

My carry is a Kel-Tec P-11 and yes it is carried with one in the pipe and a full mag. I also carry an extra mag and they are both fully stuffed. I don't worry about spring fatigue in my mags because I shoot alot and at the first sign of aweak spring I address the issue.

158 gr. Sabre's
Old 05-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I carry a 38 special or 357 Mag most of the time. They are always loaded but when I carry the Glock 22, I also vary the number of cartyridges to keep the max pressure off the magazine spring. No way In h^*l do I figure I need more than 8-10 rounds in the gun. The 39 special holds five and I never feel under gunned with that. The 357 Mag holds 7.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Good Holster and Better Belt, I believe the belt is more important than the holster. Makes a world of difference.

I don't understand why you would mix the number of rounds in your magazine, tension is tension, I've kept 3 glock mags loaded to the gills for over 8 years now. Not a single malfunction. When my mom gave me my grandfathers P38 it's 2 magazines were loaded from the days when he carried it in the 60s. Both still worked and the ammo fired as well. I don't believe the spring setback thing is as much of a problem as people let be.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:48 AM

I don't keep a completely full mag. Actually I change the number of rounds in the gun every week or two. I do this to keep the spring good. On modern guns with quality springs, keeping them fully loaded is not an issue. Actually, it is the compression and decompression of the spring that wears it out quicker. So your changing the amount of tension on the mag springs weekly will cause failure sooner than leaving them fully loaded. It will still take quite some time to make a difference however. The ammo will need changing sooner than the springs unless you shoot the mags a lot. I change my competition gun mag springs about once a year and some have had thousands of rounds and hundreds of reloadings through them.

I keep mags in my safe for my "go toif the SHTFguns" fully loaded all the time. Some loaded for years.I unload them (by shooting) to clean the mags and reload fresh ammo, not because I am worried the springs will go bad. Never had a problem nor did I when carrying for 20 years in LE.

Another issue is loading the same bullet over and over in the chamber.By doing so you risk bullet setback into the case from the multiple trips up the feed ramp. Little by little the bullet gets set back into the case, causing increased pressure, and possibly a jam or Kaboom. Rotate bullets so you don't continually put the same one in the chamber everytime.

Craig