Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 terminal performance on game....opinions? >

terminal performance on game....opinions?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

terminal performance on game....opinions?

Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default terminal performance on game....opinions?

This may be an odd question to some, but since I'm in the market for a new deer/hog rifle, I thought I would ask anyway.
I'm considering the .270, .30-06, and 7mm. Rem. mag.
I've taken deer and hogs with all three calibers with good results from all...but I've only taken a couple of deer and hogs with each caliber.
I realize most of you will respond with "not much difference if any"....and that's great. I'm looking for opinions/insight from folks who have taken quite a bit of game with each caliber.
I'm wanting to see if any of you veteran hunters have seen animals drop faster or run shorter distances with one of the 3 mentioned calibers and if so, what type load seems to really sock it to them.
Deer and hogs seem to amaze me with their "after the shot" reaction. I've had deer shot through both lungs crumple like lightning struck them and had other animals hit the same way run for 50-100 yards.
Just looking for lots of opinions and experience from some of you folks that have dropped more animals than I have.
Thanks
Schoolcraft
Old 04-13-2007, 05:23 AM

Default RE: terminal performance on game....opinions?

i would go with the 30/06 but you have to pic what you like to shoot better
Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Come on folks! I need some feedback here. This is where I WANT you folks to voice your opinions about your experiences.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

ttt
Old 04-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bullet placement and ability to shoot one accuratly is more important than size and speed most times! WDM Bell poached countless elephants with a 7mm mauser...all with good shot placement!270 shoots flat enough for accuracy,the 06 can sling more weight,7mag speed demon and accurate! No such thing as bad choice in the bunch!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK, using anything for deer other than the 270 is a waste of time. The 270 is far and away the best pure deer cartridge on this planet. Load any good 130 grain bullet and never even consider any inferior calibers like the 243 and 30-06 and 7MM Mag.

There That opinion should stir things up a bit. Honestly with todays excellent bullets, No deer would ever know the diference between the 25-06 and the 300 RUM. Or anything in between. Sorry I can't stupe to the 243.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Only guarantee of a DRT is take out the front 2 wheels(scapula), though get only one and it may scamper as far as a H/L shot! I don't see any one being better on the game end when deer are the target.

For your application flip a coin if you don't like or desire one over the other, they'll all geter done and good selection of bullets to choice from. PersonallyI like the 7mm rem mag b/c it faster, flatter and more punch for larger then deer game.

I haven't hunted wild hogs butif deer were my main concern I'd get a .257 cal such as 25-06rem and just load it appropriately for the situation. Flatter shooter with more then enough punch to get clear through the biggest wt/mulies in NA. Sinceit isn't on your radar I'llgo with James & the .277 cal - 270win or 270wsm.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

Come on folks! I need some feedback here. This is where I WANT you folks to voice your opinions about your experiences.
The requirements for shooting big hogs/wild boars is entirely different from shooting deer. What becomes important is not the cartridge that launches the bullet so much as it is the construction of that bullet. You need a tough, deep-penetrating bullet for big pigs, and a lighter, more frangible one for deer, which are much more lightly constructed than pigs!

IMO, a .270, a 7mm Rem. Mag., and a .30/'06 are all more than capable of doing what you want if you choose the right bullet. But if you want to use the same bullet for both, use a Nosler Partition - a 180 grain in the '06, a 175 grain in the 7 Mag., and a 150 grain in the .270. There are bullets in all three calibers that will drop deer SOONER, but none that will do for tough and fragile game bothas well as the Nosler Partition. The Barnes X's are great for deep penetration, but a little on the tough side for fast kills on small deer.......
Old 04-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

ttt
Old 04-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Barnes X's are great for deep penetration, but a little on the tough side for fast kills on small deer.......
If you are talking the original barnes x,I would agree.However From what I have seen,the tsx expands reliably even on game as small as pronghorns,while still outpenetrating the partition.

Quick Reply: terminal performance on game....opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.