HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - terminal performance on game....opinions?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 PM
schoolcraft
Fork Horn

Default terminal performance on game....opinions?

This may be an odd question to some, but since I'm in the market for a new deer/hog rifle, I thought I would ask anyway.
I'm considering the .270, .30-06, and 7mm. Rem. mag.
I've taken deer and hogs with all three calibers with good results from all...but I've only taken a couple of deer and hogs with each caliber.
I realize most of you will respond with "not much difference if any"....and that's great. I'm looking for opinions/insight from folks who have taken quite a bit of game with each caliber.
I'm wanting to see if any of you veteran hunters have seen animals drop faster or run shorter distances with one of the 3 mentioned calibers and if so, what type load seems to really sock it to them.
Deer and hogs seem to amaze me with their "after the shot" reaction. I've had deer shot through both lungs crumple like lightning struck them and had other animals hit the same way run for 50-100 yards.
Just looking for lots of opinions and experience from some of you folks that have dropped more animals than I have.
Thanks
Schoolcraft