Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 breaking in a rifle? >

breaking in a rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

breaking in a rifle?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: breaking in a rifle?

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I just prefer to get it out of the way early in the game .
Good post. But the thing is, I don't feel it's something I need to getout of the way, whether it be 25 rounds or 250 rounds. In other words, I can take a brand new gun, sight it inand go hunting with it without worrying about getting this "break-in" out of the way. The way some folks talk on here, you'd almost get the idea that the dang bullet won't even come out of the bore unless it'ssmooth as silk. I know better.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:46 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: breaking in a rifle?

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I think the key issue here is that a barrel will eventually break in; provided you clean it down to bare metal at the end of each shooting session. What matters on break in is that a bullet passes down a barrel that has no copper deposits in it - so the bullet can burnish the metal of the barrel slightly. If there is any copper fouling, it can't really burnish the metal underneath. I prefer to do a thorough cleaning every shot for the first ten. There are lots of other prescribed methods - but virtually all premium rifle barrel makers recommend some sort of break in.

But if you don't believe in break in, and your average shooting session is 25 rounds, you will have your barrel broken in at the 250 round point provided you cleaned it thoroughly at the end of each 25 rounds session. I just prefer to get it out of the way early in the game .
what sold me on it was watching the chrono. I agree, I don't think you are going to damage your rifle if you don't break in. I just want to get to serious load developement early. I have seen a new rifle vary velocity by 250fps. After breakin, vary by 25fps. When I take the time to work up a load, I dont' want to have to go to the range 3 times with teh same work up because I got inconsistent results the last.