Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Breaking in new rifle >

Breaking in new rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Breaking in new rifle

Old 02-17-2003, 08:39 AM
7x7

Default Breaking in new rifle

I recently bought a Winchester Model 70 300 Ultra Mag and I was wondering what is the best way to break it in. The last rifle I bought was 20 years ago when I was 18 and not knowing any better I just took it out of the box and started shooting[:@] although it has done me quit well I want to break my new one in properly.

Also what brand of solvent and gun oil would you suggest I be using?

Thanks for Your Help
Old 02-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Breaking in new rifle

You' ll get a variety of opinions on this subject. I personally clean after every three shots up to around 12 rds. , then after every five rds for the next 20 or so. after that I' ll run the bore snake through every 10 - 15 rds at the range and thorough cleaning after every range session, which will usually last around 45 -50 rds for each rifle with me.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

7 X 7

Most importantly is to not shoot it too far until it' s broken in. Limit your shots to about 50 yards and work your way out to longer distances over the next 50 rounds or so and you should be alright.

LOL!

Seriously, I agree with Thunderchicken about breaking it in cleanly. I like to smear a film of moly on the bullets, too. Can' t really prove if the moly (grease) really does anything or not, maybe I just like the additional smoke. Oh well.

Have fun with it, treat it right and it should last a lifetime.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

I am not really sure of the best way, I can only tell you what works for me. With my magnums I like to scrub the barrel after every shot for the first five shots, then after it is this I will shot two times and scrub for the next six shots, after that I will shoot a three shot group and scrub, and repeat two more times. This finishes my first box of shells, and with my big guns off a bench it will usually finish my first day at the range. This is by no means an elaborate break in as preferred by many target shooters, but my magnums aren' t competition guns and I only ask that they consistently shoot sub-moa groups, not 1/4 moa groups, if I needed that accuracy I' d probably break them in a little longer. The only thing a break in is doing is to try to smooth the bore a little to improve accuracy, and I have found that my technique is a good comprimise between just going and shooting the gun (usually doesn' t give the best accuracy), and a benchrest break-in (may give the best accuracy but it takes FOREVER).

Gordon
Old 02-19-2003, 05:16 AM

I' ve read " experts" tell about various break-in procedures, but I' ve also read " experts" that swear breakin procedures are just wearing out your barrel.

I' ve tried various methods over the years, but I no longer use any break-in methods. I think in general most folks end up doing more damage than good, especially with cleaning rods. I' ve also heard some real horror stories about fire lapping methods.

I' m not going to argue with anyone either way. I' m just giving you my opinion.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on having done this break-in routine to several rifles, I now think it' s just a waste of my time. Instead, I simply take a new rifle, clean the barrel of any residue left at the factory and then go shoot it. I give it a thorough cleaning after about every 20 rounds.

I' d like someone to prove that this break-in nonsense results in a more accurate rifle. It hasn' t for me. The two most accurate rifles I own were not " broken in" . The late Gale McMillan, who made match barrels for a living, thought it was nonsense. The guys at Shilen think it' s no big deal either.

If someone wants to do it, that' s fine with me. However, if they think it' s going to result in a rifle that' s more accurate, they' re fooling themselves. It will reduce copper fouling quicker, but that' s about it.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think breaking in barrels works. Morrison Precision Company probably makes the best barrels in the world, and they recomend breaking in their barrels. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

With a premium barrel, it should have been hand lapped and smooth already. With a factory barrel, having soft copper jacketed bullets run down a much harder chromemoly or SS barrel simply isn' t going to wear the rough spots down enough in 5 or 50 shots to make a difference. Keeping the barrel clean at least will give you better accuracy though. Running a cleaning rod down your barrel every 5 shots, if done incorrectly will also hasten the barrel' s demise.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Just as an add on to my reply, and because others have brought it up, do yourself a favor use a bore guide whenever you run a cleaning rod down your barrel.

Break in for me is kinda odd, the only time I really think it helps is with a barrel that shoots pretty good, but fouls quickly and then I get a flyer, I' ve never noticed that it helped my good shooters any though.

As for Solvent, any good copper fouling formula will do, I have been using Birchwood Casey' s " Bore Scrubber" and it seems to be doing fine.

Gordon