Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 breaking in a rifle? >

breaking in a rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

breaking in a rifle?

Old 03-13-2007, 08:45 AM

Default RE: breaking in a rifle?

I've tried a number of methods over the years, but don't really see any reason to break-in the barrel on a quality rifle. I've had few factory "lemons" with rough barrels that needed it, but most don't in my opinion. More rifles are worn out with cleaning rods than actual rounds fired through them.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Listen folks having as accurate a weapon as possible is just plain smart. If a Factory gun is all you can afford, then you should do everything in your power to make it as accurate as you can. Take the time to break in a barrel and at the very least you will have a barrel that is easier to clean.
There's no proof or any kind of evidence that I know of that indicatesrifles broken in with one of the tedious methods are more accurate than those that are not. If youare aware of any such evidence I'd be interested to see it. I've done it both ways and have yet to see any difference in accuracy one way or the other.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Solitary Man
There's no proof or any kind of evidence that I know of that indicatesrifles broken in with one of the tedious methods are more accurate than those that are not. If youare aware of any such evidence I'd be interested to see it. I've done it both ways and have yet to see any difference in accuracy one way or the other.
What I have noticed is at a new barel get dirty fast, but after a couple of boxes it becomes easier to clean. I do not know how this translates on accuracy.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

The key IMHO to break in is adequate cooling time(don't let the barrel get hot), if nothing else having to run the rod downthe borewill aid in slowing down theshooter. Everything else inregards toa break in routine is subjective.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Solitary Man

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Listen folks having as accurate a weapon as possible is just plain smart. If a Factory gun is all you can afford, then you should do everything in your power to make it as accurate as you can. Take the time to break in a barrel and at the very least you will have a barrel that is easier to clean.
It seems that copper build-up is the key issue to work to minimize by breaking in a barrel. Initial build-up and more importantly to minimize build-up during long-term shooting. I found a number of web pages that say the same. I posted the one below as it seemed to be credible and stated that breaking-in improves accuracy.

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapbore1.htm

Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll run a few patches down a brand new bore just to get all the grease/oil out from the factory, then I start shoooting. My method is, don't shoot more than 3 bullets in a row, and give it proper time to cool.

My rifles all shoot well, and I don't do anything special to them other than clean the actions and load up bullets.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

The question was asked " what type of gun is this?" It is a CZ 527 American in .223. I plan to use it for groundhogs and coyote. I would like to do the job right ,so thanks for the help. Is there anythingelse I need to know?

[/align]
Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

The question was asked " what type of gun is this?" It is a CZ 527 American in .223. I plan to use it for groundhogs and coyote. I would like to do the job right ,so thanks for the help. Is there anythingelse I need to know?
Don't waste your ammo on this break-in B.S.!!

Here's how my CZ 527 7.62X39mm shoots with a .308" Sierra bullet handload-right out of the box with scope added. I did not fool around with that break-in nonsense. Shoot your rifle at the range. How does it shoot? Is it so poor that you think some magical alchemy is going to make it shoot better? I'll bet you will be amased at how it shoots right now!

Yes, I clean my rifles -but after each range session, NOT after each shot!

Too bad this board only accepts one picture. I could show you a great number of similar targets, all shot with barrels that were NOT "broken in".

Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 AM

i bought a used 30-06 and i have no idea if the guy broke it in, i dout it, anyways when i got it all he had fired through the gun was about 10 shots before i got it, no i didnt clean it, and i shot about 20-30 rounds before i cleaned it, and now i clean it after 30-50 shots and i get groups form anywhere from 3" right down to 3/4", and thats all i do for cleaning.

now if i were to buy one from the store new, i would clean it initially to get the grease out, and then i wouldnt clean it until i have fired at least 20 shots and then i would carry on doing my regular maintenance, 30-50 shots, or until i see my shots are starting to go off to left field, once i notice that i clean it and acuuarcy is right back on.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mybigredford

i bought a used 30-06 and i have no idea if the guy broke it in, i dout it, anyways when i got it all he had fired through the gun was about 10 shots before i got it, no i didnt clean it, and i shot about 20-30 rounds before i cleaned it, and now i clean it after 30-50 shots and i get groups form anywhere from 3" right down to 3/4", and thats all i do for cleaning.

now if i were to buy one from the store new, i would clean it initially to get the grease out, and then i wouldnt clean it until i have fired at least 20 shots and then i would carry on doing my regular maintenance, 30-50 shots, or until i see my shots are starting to go off to left field, once i notice that i clean it and acuuarcy is right back on.
Exactly!

Quick Reply: breaking in a rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.