Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Self Defense Ammo? >

Self Defense Ammo?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Self Defense Ammo?

Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Self Defense Ammo?

Just wondered what everyone's favorite self defense ammo was? Just got my new Kimber .45 and finding out that there's alot out there.. w/ lots of varying opinions...

Popular Ammos I've found soo far are:
Hydrashocks
Gold Dots
TAP
XTP
SXT

What's your favorite and why?

Old 03-02-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Self Defense Ammo?

12 gauge buckshot.

But I have carried the 45 for decades. Hard ball is fine and you don't have to wonder... will it expand or not? It kills.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

any good hollow point should work. everyone has their favorites...though how many got to test them? besides accuracy lol. thats what it would come down to. the best hollow point, that functioned flawlessly and shot where i pointed it.

biscuit jake..thats not very good advice for self defense/CCW IMO. hard ball isnt going to expand...and it isnt going to stop. you might kill your target...but you also got to worry about the world behind your target. innocent bystanders in a store or public setting, your wife if bed...your kids in the next room etc...the only thing hardball is good for is cheap target practice IMO..ill take a good hollow point made to expand and not pass through the whole house..shotguns are great in the house..but i never understood that 00 buckshot..thats going to rip through dry wall as well..i think a stiff turkeyload or small buckshot at less than 10yds will drop someone like a stone..but thats me..i just think to much...but thinking about loved ones all around you is important..
Old 03-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hydrashocks
Old 03-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Speer HP golddot.....our police officers uses them so why not. I like the performances they do on tissues and it's very reliable. I haven't had onemissfire on me yet.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

12 gauge buckshot.
#2 shot works better. You have more pellets and nobody argues when they are facing a sawed off shotgun.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Gold Dots and Hydra Shocks.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Spike

Hydrashocks is what i carried back when i carried.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll stand pat. You have to take into consideration what is behind your target when you shoot anyway. And I am not at all convinced that softpoints or hollow points are consistent against bad guys in the 45 acp. We each have to make up our minds on that point, and live with decision. One of my peers had over penetration with the plain jane, 38 special lead round nose. Dropped his man tho.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

In my Glock 23 that I carry I use Cor-Bon 135 gr.

i

Quick Reply: Self Defense Ammo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.