Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle Sites

Old 12-09-2002, 12:58 PM

Default Rifle Sites

I have a Newbie question. I did buy a H&R/NEF rifle in 30-06. I would like to try "iron" sites as I am saving the hard earned sheckles for a good scope. Can anyone tell me if there are sites that can be installed relatively easily and removed if I choose once I get a scope. Are there any that do not require a gunsmith to install.

[email protected]
Old 12-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Sites

Let me see if I get this straight. You bought a rifle that has no sights on it, but in lieu of a scope you want to have sights put on it until you can save up for a scope? Well as far as I know having sights installed will cast you about as much as a scope. The barrel will have to either be drilled and tapped, or dovetailed depending on the sights you want, and you also have to figure in the cost of the sights themselves. I guess there are some sights made to be silver sodiered on but that still requires expertise and I don't know if I would trust them to stay on long. Might be cheaper just to go with an inexpensive piece of glass for now until you save up for whatever optics you want.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am with frizzellr. Go with a cheaper scope and save for what you want. Look at Bushnell banners or fixed power scopes as cheaper option. check ebay!

Old 12-10-2002, 01:44 PM

i would save up and get a really good B.S.A scope.You dont have to put out alot of money to get one. there great scopes!
Old 12-10-2002, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, you're going to spend as much money to get a decent sight put on as you would to buy a decent scope. There are a few kits out there I've seen that claim to be a do-it-yourself drill and tap kit, then the sights wouldn't be that expensive, but it's too risky in my opinion to try something like that yourself. Sure they'd help you save money if you got lucky, but what happens when you accidentally drill into the chamber, then have to pay a gun smith $50 bucks to get your jammed case out of your now worthless gun? I say go wot wally world and get one of their cheap scopes for now, they have somebody's (bushnell's I think) 3-9x39's for something like $40, they'd do fine until you could upgrade. Or look for a used scope, lots of guys buy a decent scope ($200 or so) then upgrade to Leupold's or Nikons, etc later, and just sell their old one's for whatever they can move them for. In fact, I myself am hoping to do so with one of my scope's soon, but prob. 6 mo. at least.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!