Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington SPS? >

Remington SPS?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington SPS?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Default RE: Remington SPS?

Dang, I cantwin for lose here, HA HA!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bought the SPS in 7mm-08 because it had a 24 inch barrel. I hate short barrel (anything under 24) Why give up the performance. Everyone Else makes the 22 inch barrel. Hats off to Remington for leaving the SPS at 24 inches. Its awful easy to take a couple inches off a barrel but not so easy to add on. I plan on getting one in the stainless in 270 as well.

I think your son would love the 7MM-08 excellent ballistics, great performance on game and dern little recoil.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not available in 7mm-08. Might want to check out some youth models depending on how old your son is.
Not in the package deal but savage does offer the 7mm08 in the 16 series (Internal mag, hinged floor plate and detachable mag versions).

Old 02-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Ok, I'm not really worried that it has to be a packaged deal although it would have been nice, I can just get a good Simmons scope for a 7mm-08 for next to nothing on my own anyhow. I may end up going with the Remington SPS or whatever it is in the next couple of years because that's probably how long it will take before we get the chance to head out to Montana is a few years away anyway. He's only 11 and quite small in stature, plus I'm thinking about skipping out hunting for the next few years to save up for my Montana trip anyhow. "All in good time", THANKS for the help in deciding!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

The finish on allSPS rifles, including the stainless version,lookslike Remington just doesn't care about the finish they put on. Their finishlooks junk yardbasic. Its very rough, so rough I don't even think you could send it off to have a gloss blued finish applied to it. Whatever happened to good old fashioned deep bluing like they used to put on their shotguns and rifles years ago??? [:@]

Today, all of their rifle finishes look like they've been hit with a sandblaster. They must do it to save money, because it'scheaper. I for one wish Remington would go back to the quality level they "USED" to have. Today,Ruger puts Remington to shame! Their guns have a MUCH better, deep, glossbluing that looks black on them and their stainless finish is much better as well.

I don't like the finish on any of the SPSs, including the stainless models. I much perfer the look of the stainless LSS Model Remingtons (my favorite) and the BDLs.

Bluing should look like that found on Rugers and Browning Medallions.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.savagearms.com/16fhss.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/16fss.htm
One of theseshould work for your boy. Good luck! Brett
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 PM

For what it's worth, I've come to like the matte blue SPS finish. When I first received the gun I had the same opinion as Dixie Rebel. Apart from its roughness, the finish rubbed off on cleaning cloths so bad I almost took it back. The first couple attempts at wiping it down with oil resulted in a bunch of lint and brown residue.

In response I took the gun apart and brushed/rubbed the exterior with Simple Green. This took off all the brown residue. I followed with various random treatments of CLP / Rusteprufe (cleaning new rifle more fun than law school). Consequently the finish smoothed down to a consistent texture. More importantly the splotchy brown hue is now a deep black and has the appropriate "blue" appearance under light.

The conclusion of this highly important post is that the SPS matte finish can be improved if you are really bored
Old 03-01-2007, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: hunter5325

http://www.savagearms.com/16fhss.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/16fss.htm
One of theseshould work for your boy. Good luck! Brett
Yep, those look good Brett. I like the idea of the 22" barrel better but it will come down to him ultimately. I just don't see the need for a 24" barrel on a 7mm-08 and a shorter barrel will be easier for the little guy to tote around BUT you a lot canhappen in 2 or 3 years! Plus, I'm sure both brands will be marketing something NEW by that time, ha ha.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

delete
Old 03-01-2007, 11:58 PM

I have a Rem. 700 BDL in 7mm-08 with a 22 inch barrel and I really like it. I'm hunting in WV and I know ya don't think that two inches makes a difference on paper, but it does make it nice when goin though some of the thick stuff that I go through.