Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Large ring VS Small ring Mauser >

Large ring VS Small ring Mauser

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Large ring VS Small ring Mauser

Old 02-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Large ring VS Small ring Mauser

I was wondering if any of the smith types out there can offer advice about the 8mm/06 chambering for Small ring vs Large ring mausers. In other words, does the size of the action's ring have much to do with it's relative strength when it comes to the 8mm/06 or the 8mm/06 AI round?
I am asking b/c a couple of barrels are available to me, one for a small ring and one for a large ring Mauser and they are both good deals. And I have a large ring action and could get my hands on a small ring too.
Any advice about pressure restrictions for large vs small for the 8mm/06 would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Large ring VS Small ring Mauser

All small ring mausers with a few rare exceptions are going to betoo short for a 30-06 length case.
Strength isn't an issue with a well made small ring action made of superior grades of steel. The Swedish produced a lot of hunting rifles in 8x57 based on their small ring 96/38 actions, and the Czechs made a small ring 98 style action in 8x57 known as the G33/40.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 AM

I won't build on any small rings unless they're 98 small rings. Not weaker 93's or 96's.Even Swedes. Mexican Mausers are great little 98 small ringreceivers to build on but are hard to find these days. Husqvarna commercial 98 small rings are great finds and almost as rare. I've got one Husqvarna left that's going to be my wife's 270 Win
Old 02-26-2007, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

So the concensus so far is that I should settle on a Large ring action for the length, and as always, find as high a grade as I can.
Of the several available and affordable (under $200) surplus rifles out there today, are there any recommendations,.... perhaps a couple that are considered of decent price and strength for the money?

I have a Turkish 98 but have been told that loading the 8mm/06 or 8mm/06 AI in it may be pushing the envelope for pressure.