Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 12-08-2002, 10:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-08-2002, 11:18 PM

Default RE: I need a new shotgun.

The Benelli Nova can shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells, in addition to the 3 1/2" shells. Just recently I had to make a choice between the Nova and the Remington 870 Wingmaster. After doing a lot of reading on this and other forums I decided that it was bordering on a Ford vs. Chevy decision. Both are fine guns with their share of supporters. From what I've read, the Nova is easy to take down and clean, tough, dependable, and by all accounts a quality gun. Some posts talked of taking it to Argentina for some big dove hunt, and it passed with flying colors while other shotguns bit the dust. Go to http://talk.shooters.com/index.html and do a search, you'll find a lot of positive comments.

Supposedly the Nova kicks more, becuase it's lighter. The Wingmaster is even lighter, so who knows what "they" are comparing it to. You can get a recoil kit, fits in the stock, runs around $50.

I went with the Wingmaster because it "felt" right. The balance, how it felt bringing it to my shoulder, etc., not becuase of anything negative I found about the Nova.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:40 PM

Nova is a good gun. If it's the one that "feels right" to you, get it! As for barrel length that too will come down to what feels right to you, if it was for me I would opt for the 26" because I chase turkeys for a passion and prefer the 24" - 26" barrels for feel and getting through the brush.

Tick a Liberal Off, Buy a Hand Gun!
http://tscott.fws1.com

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!
Old 12-09-2002, 04:45 AM

REMINGTON RULES!!!! I have an 870 pump gun which i've had for years & it has taken plenty of turkey & deer....I don't leave home without it...just my .02 cents worth..Brampton Mike
Old 12-09-2002, 12:52 PM

I just recently bought a Nova 12 ga, and I love it. It's super easy to take down for cleaning, and with the plastic coating it's pretty much rust free. It has a few nice features that you won't find on the 870, like a magazine interrupt button so that you can empty the chamber without feeding in a new round, and you can also unload the magazine without cycling the rounds through the chamber. I also like the high visability sight on the barrel.

I heard that it 'kicks like a mule' but it hasn't really been a problem for me- although I haven't put any 3.5" super mags through it yet...

In the end I think it comes down to fit though, they're both great guns so just get the one that feels best. Note that with the synthetic stock on the benelli you really can't have the fit adjusted like you could with a Remington.

-Matt

Old 12-09-2002, 02:27 PM

I have used both the Rem 870 Super Mag (my personal waterfowling, dove, etc gun) and the Benelli Nova (a gun I bought for my father). I can wholeheartly attest to both being great, tough, dependable guns. While I initially had problems with my 870 with a burr inside the chamber that would not let me eject shells, Remington sent me a new barrel and everything works great now. I have been shooting this gun for about 4-5 years now.

Negatives with the 870:
Wood scratches WAY TOO EASILY. Only a cosmetic problem, does not hurt shooting performance.
Barrel and other metal components rust too easily. Keep it well lubed. The bluing also wears too quickly.
Looks a bit cheap.

Positives with 870 (since new barrel):
Shoots great everytime. Never a misfire or problem with the action.

The Nova I have shot only a few times. But here are the positives and negatives I have seen with it so far.

Negatives:
A very long gun. The receiver is much longer than the one on the 870 so fit may be a problem for you. Practice moving both guns up to your shoulder quickly and see what fits better for you. I would very much recommend a 26" barrel if you get the Nova since the gun with a 28" barrel and the long receiver makes for a very long gun indeed. We had a little bit of trouble finding a soft case that his gun would fit in.

A little on the heavy side but not a big diff between the Nova and the 870. Not really a big deal.

The grip on the pump action wobbles just a little too much for my taste.

Positives of the Nova:

Has a very imposing look to it.

Benelli name

Very durable

Very resistant to rust...I love the finish on this gun.

Can eject the shell in the chamber and still keep those in the magazine in place. Great for crossing fences, etc.

Sling mounts.

Easy to take down.

If I had to choose between these two, I would more than likely buy the Nova. You really can't go wrong with either one though. I just like the more durable finish and extras you get with the Benelli. Both guns do fit and feel different so definitely go with which one fits you best. BTW, both guns will shoot 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" with no problem. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-09-2002, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget to look at the Browning BPS 12 3.5" Stalker (Black synthetic stocks and matte black finish, 26-28" bbl) or the BPS 12 3.5" NWTF Mossy Oak (24" vent-rib bbl w/ fiber optic sights). The Stalker with a 3.5" chamber will probably set you back in the low $500's and the camo turkey gun will set you back $600-650. The good thing is that if you buy one before Jan 1st Browning is offering a $75 rebate on the BPS shotguns.

I just bought a BPS 12 Hunter (satin walnut and gloss blued) and paid $425 before the rebate. It is by far the finest pump shotgun I've had the privilege of shooting (smoother out of the box than a well worn in 35 year old Remington 870 Wingmaster), and it fits, points and swings like it was made for me.

I also really like the thumb tang safety (easy to find and manipulate with gloved hands). If you plan to hunt duck/geese from a blind your buddies will also appreciate the bottom eject, since you're not bouncing your empties off your buddy's face.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 12-09-2002, 09:08 PM

Go with the mossberg 835 ulti-mag best 3.5 pump gun ever made
Old 12-10-2002, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

LET ME SEE...ABOUT $300 I BROUGHT THE MOSSBERG 835 ULTI-MAG COMBO. CAME WITH 28" BARREL WITH 3 CHOKES, AND A 24" RIFLED/CANTILEVER BARREL, SHOOTS TURKEY LOAD THRU FULL CHOKE GREAT, SLUGS FLY TRUE WITH RIFLED BARREL, AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS GUN. ITS ALITTLE HEAVIER THEM SOME, MAY NOT BE THE BEST OUT THERE, BUT FOR A $300 COMBO, 3.5" CHAMBER, CANT GO WRONG.