Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
accelerator bullets >

accelerator bullets

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

accelerator bullets

Old 12-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default accelerator bullets

Not that I have or ever would need to shoot the accelerator bullets but was just curious. Why would the accelerator bullets not be accurate? It basically just like shooting a sabot bullet out of a muzzle loader or shotgun. I know that the military uses these types of bullets in everything from the 20mm cannons with depleated uranium bullets to tanks firing the same thing and probably many other firearms and they are deadly accurate. This comes from the comments on the 22-250 vs. 300mag post.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: accelerator bullets

If the barrel and rifling is designed to shoot sabots they can be quite accurate.From what I have seen with accelerators fired in some 30-06's they have not been accurate enough for a varmint shooting which was the intended use by the poster on the thread to which you refer.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-08-2002, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Ive tried a few in my 30-30 and not really noticed much as far as accuracy. A friend of mine always caries a few on him for shooting foxes and coyotes but i dont much like em. Ive heard that they leave a residue in your barrel, dont know if thats true or not
Old 12-08-2002, 10:46 AM

Years back I tried both in 308 and in the 30-30 the Rem accelerators. What I found, was just a general scrub of my barrels, the accelerators weren't that accurate, but after a GOOD cleanon the barrel, off the bench at 100, could cover three holes with a nickel from either rifle.

The point of aim was a drastic change from a reg big game load to them, consequently, not a good second cartridge for me to carry at that time. Since then, I found sabots avaiable and reloaded my own, and playing with powders suggested came up with what worked for me. In the end, gave up the whole project.... bought a rifle dedicated to coyotes hehehe that settled THAT problem.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a really good theory that they would be incredibly accurate, I mean, just think about a .30-06 pushing 80 grain bullets, but the reality is that they aren't...I kinda think that the sabot must not detach from the bullet uniformly, so it creates a bit of a sail temporarily. That's the only thing I can figure, cuz I got like 4" groups at 150 yrds with accelerators, when I was getting 1" groups with my solid bullets.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-09-2002, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is more of a weight vs rate of twist issue.