Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 OT: ANGLED BODY VS. STRAIGHT BODY SPOTTER?? >

OT: ANGLED BODY VS. STRAIGHT BODY SPOTTER??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

OT: ANGLED BODY VS. STRAIGHT BODY SPOTTER??

Old 02-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default OT: ANGLED BODY VS. STRAIGHT BODY SPOTTER??

I have a 25X Leupold spotter it is nice, but I want to upgrade. Can someone explain the angled body versus the straight body? Is there a major difference? Also, is there a major advantage of the larger diameter?
I will be using the spotter out to 600 yards maximum. We have just finished our new shooting range, we can get 540 yards. I would also like to use my digital camera to take photos with the spotter. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I bought a set of 8X56 SLC's a couple of years ago. These binoculars made me a real believer in high end glass. I do not mind paying for the better stuff, as long as it is worth it. Are the better spotter's worth it? Anyone have a good one out there they would like to sell? Tom.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: OT: ANGLED BODY VS. STRAIGHT BODY SPOTTER??

I believe the only difference is the eyepiece, one is angled and the other is straight. Just depends on which one you like. I prefer the angled, especially from shooting off of a bench. imo
Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Swarovski ATS 80 High Definition and absolutely love it. As Jeepkid said I beleive it's personal preference when it come to a straight or angled eye piece.My opinion is thatthe angled models offer a bit for versatility over the straight. I use mine for hunting here in Texas and out west and can attest that the better glass is well worth the price when scanning the vast areas, dark timber, mountain sidesetc. I havean adaptor for a camera but have not used it yet.

Look atgetting aspotter as an investment, buy the best that you can afford. Nikon makes a spotter/camera unit as does Zeiss and Swarovski.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Head,

Yeah there is a big difference. Not sure the make and model you are looking at but I have tested both Swarvos spotting scopes and both have benefits.
Angled scope has an rotating head and body so you can set it right on the bench with you and tip the angle towards your head. All you have to do to find your target is look left or right (depending if you shoot left or right handed)into the spotting scope and you are on target. It is however, a little more difficult to find your target in the field using the angled. Also, the angled are not to friendly with truck mounts.

Straight...well you have used the straight...no suprises there.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I have a 25X Leupold spotter it is nice, but I want to upgrade. Can someone explain the angled body versus the straight body? Is there a major difference? Also, is there a major advantage of the larger diameter?
I will be using the spotter out to 600 yards maximum. We have just finished our new shooting range, we can get 540 yards. I would also like to use my digital camera to take photos with the spotter. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I bought a set of 8X56 SLC's a couple of years ago. These binoculars made me a real believer in high end glass. I do not mind paying for the better stuff, as long as it is worth it. Are the better spotter's worth it? Anyone have a good one out there they would like to sell? Tom.
The angled type are much better for bullseye pistol competiton. For rifle use, I'd prefer the straight body type, as I think they are a little easier to aim at far distant targets..... However, I have recently gone to a tripod-mounted high mag. binocular instead of a spotting scope for use on the range.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:17 PM
DM

I have both... I like the angled much better on the bench, and the straight much MUCH better when hunting..

DM
Old 02-11-2007, 02:29 PM
bigcountry

Good glass, is good glass, angled or straight. Prism or not. Prism or angled type have thier advanges on the bench.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

I liked the straight on the bench until I tried the angled. Prone, has to be angled.