Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.338 Lapua?

Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 PM

Default .338 Lapua?

I am curious as to what anyone knows about .338 Lapua's? I am all ready aware of the 'light' kick that these things give, and also of their incredible accuracy possibilities. I guess what I want to know are available muzzle brakes, factory rifles and ammo, hunting applications, cost for comparable custom setups and overall is it worth it over something a little less punishing?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 02-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .338 Lapua?

Check out Armalites AR-30, its a bolt action rifle. Pretty awesome and a decent price for what it is.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:28 PM

well that is verry possible that they scaled up the odd6 to make the 338 lp they did do that for the 50 bmg
Old 02-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Actually, the 338 Lapuawas originallybased off a shortened 416 Rigby case. The 416 Rigby was developed in the early 1900's and really wasnt designed for thehigh pressure (38K psi)we have today. Lapua solved that problem bymaking the web area thicker thus enabling the case to handle the high pressures that the 338 generates(60K psi). No doubt this cartridge is a real performer in a properly tuned rifle. I once pondered the idea of purchasinga Sako TRG 42 in the Lapua but that urged subsided.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 PM

yeah the trg is a pretty cool rifle but yeah i got over it
Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 PM

I have done some research allready and know about Armalite and Sako's factory guns. I personally do not care much for Armalite in generaland want to stay under the pricetag of the Sako. I also know that it is based off of a redesigned 416 Rigby case to manage the pressure, and that Lapua was the first to manufacture factory ammo for it(hence the name). From what I have been able to research, it was originally designed to meet a request for the military for a medium+ range sniper round(800yrds+) without the cumbersome wieght of the M82A1 50 BMG currently in use. However, in early test stages, military brass was not happy with what they say and scraped it. Lapua picked it up and it is where it is.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if anyone has personal experiance with this round and can share, any opions for a similar performing cartridge, what type of realistic hunting applications this round has, cost effectiveness when all is said and done vs. one of the similar rounds, etc... I intend for this to be a primary long range(400+ yrds) hunting rifle for elk and such. I know that I can shoot accurately enough for elk out past 800 meters in ideal conditions with proper setup and enough practise, but am just trying to find the most bang for my buck I guess. Thanks.

Jerry
Old 02-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Typical Buck

The 338 RUM and 338-378 WBY will give comparable ballistics when usedwithlongers barrels.You might give the Weatherby Accu-Mark a look oranother option would be getting a Remington Sendero in 300 RUM and having it re-barreled to the 338 Ultra or finding a Sako action and build a Lapua from the ground up.
I think 30 inch barrels are going to be need to extract all the velocity you can out of these big cases.

Either of these are going to be a cheaper alternative to the $3500 TRG. The accuracy of course is going to have to begreat when you are talking extended ranges....and that is going to run into a little money, no shortcuts there.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 PM

AA-Heard about the ballistics. A buddy of mine who is a 'gun nut' showed me his 338 lapua and was telling me about various ballistic info of comparable rounds. He was trying to make sure that I knew all of whatI may be getting myself into. He spends all of his money on guns and then bills, where as I am opposite. Bills first. I am still aways out from being able to even start a project or afford anything, so I am just trying to gather as much information as possible now. And I know I could sit there and read various ballistic charts all day long, but it is just not the same as talking with someone with an intimate knowledge of the round and how it works in the field. As I have a military backround, I have always been somewhat partial to military rounds, and wiht the history of the lapua, I just thought that that would be a good place to start my search.

RR-If you are lucky you can find one used for just under 3k, but good luck finding one. Otherwise, yes, they are about 3500 big ones. And thank you for the offer, but I have already been in touch with Mr. Allen and have you to thank for it. He is a wealth of information to say the least, and I think that he will at the least get me going in a direction that is good for me.

Thanks everyone.

Jerry
Old 02-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its about 100 fps faster than the 340 Weatherby Magnum. Based on the 416 Rigby. Its a non belted case. It has a 300 fps advantage over the 338 WM. The cost is 20-25 grains more powder.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was wanting a Lapua very badly a couple of years ago. After figuring out how much the gun would cost and then how much the ammunition would cost I opted for the .338 Remington ultra mag. It offers very similar ballistics but at about half the overallcost. I have been very happy with it and have actually foundthat Remingtonfactory ammo (250 grainswift a-frame) will shoot under one MOA.

I have an HS Precision stock and a limb saver recoil pad installed on it and the recoil is surprising easy on the shoulder with out any muzzle brake. Muzzle brakes aren't worth it. IMHO if you think you may need a brake then I strongly suggest stepping down to a lighter recoiling cartridge.It is nothing to sid down and shoot a couple of boxes off the bench provided you are sitting correctly and the gun it at the correct level so that you don't have to lean over the gun.

Yes, I believe the cost, recoil, and everything associated with the gun is worth it. I love it.