Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 270 wsm is it flatter than a 7mm rem mag >

270 wsm is it flatter than a 7mm rem mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 wsm is it flatter than a 7mm rem mag

Old 02-04-2007, 01:57 PM

Default RE: 270 wsm is it flatter than a 7mm rem mag

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

They don't lie about their ballistics.

Hahahahah.
Ya my truck gets 24 mpg like they claimed, were responsible for global warming, the government has nothing to do with the price of gas, wal-mart guns are grade 2, scent lock suits do work, and Bill Clinton never lied either.
HA HA! Good one but yeah, we are to blame for global warming (not Bush like the Dem's would quickly state) and yes the government gets like 50 to 75 cents per gallon depending on where you live. A large portion of this is to fund the military. I will give you credit for the Bill Clinton comment though, "Now listen, I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman". Ahhh, power is a beautiful thing!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

.243 vs. 7mm Mag

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/comparerifle.aspx?multiadd=U0JTVDI0M0EtMS0x&ac tion=3&ctype=1&atype=1

I'm not as dumb as you guys thought, uh??
Old 02-04-2007, 04:41 PM

270wsm vs. 7mm Rem mag..............coin toss.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:04 AM

Both are very close. When dealing with factory loads, which most hunters use, I would give a little edge to the 270 WSM. I would purchase this caliber in a heart beat over a 7mm rem mag. If they perform almost identicall, why wouldn't you go for a shorter case? Shorter bolt loading time with second shots, less powder=less recoil, lighter gun, more accurate(which some of you laugh at). WSM's provide a possitive alternative imho. Probably the best all around deer caliber on the market.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

The very slight difference in velocity (flat trajectory) between the 270 WSMand 7mm Rem. Mag. can vary from one rifle to the other simply because the velocity of individual barrels, even of the same cartridge, can vary up to 200 fps.

So what does this mean? It means some270 WSMs will shoot faster (flatter) the 7mm Rem. Mag. and some 7mm Rem. Mags will shoot faster than 270 WSM.

I own and like them both. Which is flatter shooting could depend upon how fast or slow yourrifle barrel is verses your buddy's rifle barrel.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

what does that show ? Nothing, the 7 mag is flatter than a .243 with a much heavier bullet. I think the only bullet in the .243 flatter than the 7 mag would be a 55 gr, which is not suitable for deer.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now that was funny. Zrexpilot-that was funny.

I do not want to offend anyone who can, but I personally believe most hunters can not hit a five gallon bucket at 300, and for sure at 400 yards. And this argument is over what? two or three inches? Come on guys.

Now for the real comment, and I am gonna get it for this one. Both of these cartridges are just 30 caliber wanna-be's. Tom.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:24 PM

well i saw that loading on a site on the internet and i havent seen it in my own gun so yeah dont get all hooked up on it 4000 fps is pretty fast it could be a fulse loading im not sure i never tried it like i said

Old 02-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

Both are very close. When dealing with factory loads, which most hunters use, I would give a little edge to the 270 WSM. I would purchase this caliber in a heart beat over a 7mm rem mag. If they perform almost identicall, why wouldn't you go for a shorter case? Shorter bolt loading time with second shots, less powder=less recoil, lighter gun, more accurate(which some of you laugh at). WSM's provide a possitive alternative imho. Probably the best all around deer caliber on the market.
Quicker to rechamber..really??? I mean you actually thinkSA makes that much difference?? I haven't but then again I don't worry that much about the second as the first is the one that matters! Less powder, UM ok? Compared to a 270 win it is actually more powder and a 7mm rem mag not a lot of difference, take a look at some reloading data. Recoil thats where they get you, you assume less powder means less recoil but what you forget to factor in is: a lighter rifle!! This will increase the energy of recoil and may actually feel like more.I have never bought the shorter action is more accurate, it very well maybe to a benchrest shooter eeking out every 10th of an inch but for a hunter I haven't seen it personally.

No doubt the .277cal is great but so are many others. Deer aren't to picky so I say anything 1/4 bore up is just fine if deer are on tap. Though where the .277cal suffers slightly is in larger then deer and I think the wsm does nothing to address this area as like other wsms due to the case the larger for caliber bullets do not perform in short fat case cartridges, meanwhile they will perform in their older brothers. So personally if I wanted a .277 for more then deer I'd stick with the 270 win personally as it will perform, meanwhileI think the 270wsm will suck hind teet just like its 300wsm cousin does with anything over 180 grs.

I agree the fullfil a niche but I believe they are marketed for Deer Primary hunters and the response here sort of solidifies that in my mind.

TOM...anything .308 bullet will do a .284 will as well!
Old 02-06-2007, 01:50 AM

you really think a 308 will out do a 7mm mag or what did you mean by that

Quick Reply: 270 wsm is it flatter than a 7mm rem mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.