Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 270 wsm is it flatter than a 7mm rem mag >

270 wsm is it flatter than a 7mm rem mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 wsm is it flatter than a 7mm rem mag

Old 02-03-2007, 09:43 PM

Default RE: 270 wsm is it flatter than a 7mm rem mag

The 7mm Rem. Mag. offers me nothing. If I had to pick and choose, give me the 270 WSM.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:32 AM

7mm rem mag is much hotter. Its just got more powder.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 7MM.REMINGTON.MAGNUM

hmmm this is verry interesting but thats factory right what would happen if we handloaded both say shot 150 grainers i think we could get the 7mm mag to outperform the 270wsm. am i right? i just am haveing a hard time seeing that the 270 msm cant be beaten by the 7mm mag in 150 grain area theres no doubt that the 7mm kills the 270 wsm in heavier bullets i have seen listings for the 7mm mag just under 4000 fps i cant remember if it was 150 grain bullets or if it was 164gr but what do you guys think

4000fps??? With 150 or 164 (???) ?? Put down the crack pipe and slowwwwwly step away... that IS funny though MM

Why do people even bother responding to this guy? He haspoisoned the entire forum and continues to do so with new names daily and people just keep responding. I wonder if this is someone from another forum trying to kill this board or if it is somebody that is really that f'ed up...

Old 02-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: M77man

Actually I just compared the balistics in the same weights and types of round. The 270WSM beats the 7 Mag in terms of fps and foot pounds of energy along with trajectory and wind drift naturally. Now if 270 WSM were more widely available and less expensive then 7mm Rem Mag, then it would be the logical choice.
Only if you are stuck shooting factory ammo, and choose to believe the MV claims they are making to sell the shorties!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 7MM.REMINGTON.MAGNUM

hmmm this is verry interesting but thats factory right what would happen if we handloaded both say shot 150 grainers i think we could get the 7mm mag to outperform the 270wsm. am i right? i just am haveing a hard time seeing that the 270 msm cant be beaten by the 7mm mag in 150 grain area theres no doubt that the 7mm kills the 270 wsm in heavier bullets i have seen listings for the 7mm mag just under 4000 fps i cant remember if it was 150 grain bullets or if it was 164gr but what do you guys think
Methinks you are whistlin' Dixie here! The 7mm Rem Mag. MIGHT be able to produce "just under 4000 FPS". But that would be with 50, and not 150 grain bullets!

My 26" 7mm Maggie can do over 3300 with a 140-grain bullet, and I have gotten 3420 with oneparticular lot of Norma N205 powder which is long departed. No currently available powder in this country will do as well as that old N205 did.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Actually I just compared the balistics in the same weights and types of round. The 270WSM beats the 7 Mag in terms of fps and foot pounds of energy along with trajectory and wind drift naturally. Now if 270 WSM were more widely available and less expensive then 7mm Rem Mag, then it would be the logical choice.
Only if you are stuck shooting factory ammo, and choose to believe the MV claims they are making to sell the shorties!
Very good point. It's bad enough that premium ammo is up to around 40 to 50 dolars a box now. All WSM ammo is around that price so I'll stick with my plain ole 7mm Rem Mag and not get caught up in all of the balistic hoopla. Heck, I'm only shooting at deer for no more then 300 yards currently anyway.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once again, people are believing the hype and propaganda that the ammo manufacturers are spewing forth. I'll say it again the only way to know is to shoot the load in YOUR gun over a chronograph and to shoot at the ranges mentioned. Anything else is just heresay.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

They don't lie about their ballistics. Any idiot with a $50 chrono can check it. It's common knowledge that they use SAAMI chambers (minimum dimensions) and 24" test barrels (onmost rounds). It says as much on the catalogs.

The other thing about factory ammo, especially the short mags is that they can get better performance from the same weight of powder than a handloader can. They use different powders that we don't have access to, and they use different shaped powders, sometimes in a blend that we cannot reproduce. Plus, they can load compressed powder charges with their special equipment (Hornady Light Mag etc).

It mostly comes down to believing what you want to believe, not what's actually happening.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

They don't lie about their ballistics.

Hahahahah.
Ya my truck gets 24 mpg like they claimed, were responsible for global warming, the government has nothing to do with the price of gas, wal-mart guns are grade 2, scent lock suits do work, and Bill Clinton never lied either.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

They don't lie about their ballistics. Any idiot with a $50 chrono can check it.
Obviously you never have,I findpublished ballistics to be optimistic at best. My chrony hasshown very few loads be it factory orreload datathat meet the statedvelocity.

I agree thndrchicken the only real way is firing them from your rifle over a chronograph and at the distances you intend to shoot. Anything less is only a guess. I have seen 2 identical rifles/loads at different MV's on many occasions, their is more then just powder in a case that factors into the performance equation and the only way to knowis by testing!

Quick Reply: 270 wsm is it flatter than a 7mm rem mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.