Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rifled Slugs >

Rifled Slugs

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled Slugs

Old 12-03-2002, 12:03 PM

Default Rifled Slugs

I would appreciate some experienced feedback regarding how rifled 12 gauge slugs compare to a rifle (.270 or 30-.06) in a short range for deer hunting. Also, what have you found as maximum effective range for rifled slugs. Where I am hunting has dense cover, southern pines,etc.so the range will be relatively short.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:17 PM

Default RE: Rifled Slugs

they both kill deer and drop them dead. but if i had to take the pick i would pick the 30-06sprg. cause it is a more accurate and flatter shooter than the 12 gauge shotgun. in my state we can only use shotguns and with rion sights. 75yds is a max without alot of practice.

Old 12-03-2002, 08:09 PM
bigcountry

Sat. morning, I got lucky and took a nice 8pt with my browning gold sluggun. While gutting and butchering, I took the time to really take a look at the internal damage. The lungs were in completly in tact despite the heart shot. There was alot of trama to the ribs and opposeing shoulder from the shock. But that was it. So today I took a doe with a 270Win and took another good look. The lungs were melted and like jelly. The heart was tore apart and the other orgins took quite a bit of trama from shock. Velocity kills, even though the exit wound from the coppersolids from the slug gun was much larger than the 270win.

Yesterday, I really pushed the limits of the shotgun. In the swamps on MD eastern shore I shot 130 yards at a sika deer. I ended up tearing apart the front leg. So I looked for blood but was difficult in the swamp water. Lunch, I saw this same sika limping past me so I took him down. I should have ranged such a long shot first. I thought it was only 80 or 90 yards. A slug really dives past 100 yards.

Old 12-04-2002, 04:09 AM

bigcountry...

how are the newer rem copper solids? i have not used them since 99' that is when the front was alot bigger and had six petals on them. i see the newer ones are more sleek and pointed.
when the butcher cut up the deer i shot with the copper solids. he found all the petals inside the deer.

Old 12-04-2002, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Foster-type shotgun slug kills more by hemmorage, like a broadhead arrow, than by shock and massive tissue destruction, which is how a high-velocity rifle bullet kills. I have never lost a deer hit with a high-powered rifle bullet, but have lost a couple which were hit with shotgun slugs. IMO, the new slugs, like the Win. Partiton Gold, would tend to be more like a HP rifle load in terminal performance, but don't know this for a fact, since I have not seen any deer killed with one yet.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 12-06-2002, 05:53 AM
bigcountry

Quilly, I didn't find any of the petals inside. But was probably what caused the trama to the rib cage about 4" from the exit wound. It looked like several small injuries.