Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Suggestions on caliber for youth? >

Suggestions on caliber for youth?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Suggestions on caliber for youth?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:05 AM

Default RE: Suggestions on caliber for youth?

ORIGINAL: Cryptic Gypsy

ORIGINAL: M77man

My cousin for instance started off like you did with the heavy calibers and 12 guage shot guns but he's a big, BIG, guy and can handle the recoil a lot better then I can. He shoots a .300 Win Mag and I a 7mm Rem Mag. My boy has a small frame, I don't under estimate him, but I want to ease him into it. Of course, I did think about trying out the managed recoil rounds also. Maybe another option....

But then again, I'm also looking for another excuse to get another rifle in another caliber
I started off on a on a .410 when I was 4, didnt get my 12gauntilI was 10 and could not rabbit hunt with it for awhile later,I just couldnt pack it for long.AsI think about this in my head, he would probally be better off with a good recoil pad added to asynthetic youth modelchambered for243 or 308. 260 and 7-08 great but harder to find ammo in a pinch. If you decide to get into reloading go 260 Remington. Little youth 308 great mountain rifle for future use in his lifetime.

I have noticed, that people who were shooting heavy kickers, when they were in a very developemental stage in their life, go on to want to shoot heavy recoiling firearms. Take for example, someone who shoots a 12 Gauge, when they are like 10-13 years old, well, a couple years down the road, they start looking into buying rifles, like the .300 Win Mag, or 45-70, or something.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

243 the more fun it is for a youngster to shoot the better shot they'll be. A deer wont know the difference between a 100grn bullet from a 243 and a 115 from a 25-06 but your shoulder will. A small short action is the way to go.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

I have noticed, that people who were shooting heavy kickers, when they were in a very developemental stage in their life, go on to want to shoot heavy recoiling firearms. Take for example, someone who shoots a 12 Gauge, when they are like 10-13 years old, well, a couple years down the road, they start looking into buying rifles, like the .300 Win Mag, or 45-70, or something.
I agree with that 100%
I think learning young helps to build form based oninstinct.
"Form is the recoil absorber."
The earlier you learn proper form and the heavier the recoil is when learning, the easier it will be to achieve accuracywhen using the "shoulder busters".
But if proper form is not taught to begin with, the use of harder hitters can create flinching.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Baleful Scout

I agree with that 100%
I think learning young helps to build form based oninstinct.
"Form is the recoil absorber."
The earlier you learn proper form and the heavier the recoil is when learning, the easier it will be to achieve accuracywhen using the "shoulder busters".
But if proper form is not taught to begin with, the use of harder hitters can create flinching.
Yeah, and I agree with you.Proper form is a must with any firearm but, it really comes into play with the "heavy kickers". I just cannot understand why so many people hate "magnums", if they would just learn to use them, they would build a new found respect for them, i think.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:40 AM

I just cannot understand why so many people hate "magnums", if they would just learn to use them, they would build a new found respect for them, i think.
I would take the 30-06 over the 7mag
I would take the35 Whelen over the 300mag
I have no problems with "Magnums".
I Love to shoot them.
If I was in the middle of Alaska "alone" I wouldnot be withoutone.
378 Weatherby Magnum

250 yard 30'06/308, 280/7mm08, 243/25'06shooters/hunters gain nothing going to a "Magnum", I think.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:08 AM

I dont know if thats true or not but when i was 13 i got a Mossberg 835 and was shooting 3 1/2's at deer and then got a30-06when i was 15 and it was no problem to shoot accutratly. Now im 19 and have no problem shooting about any caliber that is handed to me. I started when i was younger and shot smaller guns to learn but went to larger gunsas soon as i could.But my little brother who is actually bigger then me cant take therecoil of anyting over a 30-06 and shot the same as me growing up. He is 6' 3" and 185 pound and im 5' 10" and 155 pounds.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

I dont know if thats true or not but when i was 13 i got a Mossberg 835 and was shooting 3 1/2's at deer and then got a30-06when i was 15 and it was no problem to shoot accutratly. Now im 19 and have no problem shooting about any caliber that is handed to me. I started when i was younger and shot smaller guns to learn but went to larger gunsas soon as i could.But my little brother who is actually bigger then me cant take therecoil of anyting over a 30-06 and shot the same as me growing up. He is 6' 3" and 185 pound and im 5' 10" and 155 pounds.
I understand, that there are a few exceptions, but, for the most part, the muscle memory, and mindset, that is developed from shooting "hard kickers" often leads to one, wanting bigger rifles.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 AM

I guess its true. I do love to shoot big guns. I just orderd a Arma lite AR50 in 50 BMG and my next is prob gonna eb a Weatherby in 30-378.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

I guess its true. I do love to shoot big guns. I just orderd a Arma lite AR50 in 50 BMG and my next is prob gonna eb a Weatherby in 30-378.
You gonna load some match ammo for that .50? I have a brother who owns one, and we shoot 800-900 yards with it, sweet set up. that 30-378 is awesome, too.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:27 AM

I have a friend that shootsd with me and he has one. He isa active dutyMarine and works at thearmory so he gets us all the ammo we want and free range time out to 2,000 yards. Its alot of fun. IM just gonna use mil specammo in it. Ive never shot a 30-378 but ive shot a 338-378 and it was nice so i wanted to be different so im gonna get a 30-378.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on caliber for youth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.