Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 handgun for hunting? >

handgun for hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

handgun for hunting?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Default RE: handgun for hunting?

I think I need one...lol. I had the same scope problem with my 454...I keep blowing up the recticle...been thru 2 Bushnell elites so far...next one is a Leupold...I am guessing it came from Fox River?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Tauras M44 in 44mag. I took a 4pt buck with it this fall (my first handgun deer). I shoot open sights and am comfortable out to 50 yards. 44 mag is all you need for deer - I shot the Federal 240gr HP
Old 01-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are often restrictions on minimum caliber and barrel lengths for deer to insure that your gun/ammo combo can deliver enough energy to take down a deer reliably.

In IL, you need at least 30 cal, 4" barrel, have 500 ftlbs at the muzzle, and must use expanding bullets. That puts hot .357's at the bottom end, and makes the 44 mag a competent favorite. You also cannot use a semi-auto in IL.

I wanted a double action so the gun could doublefor bear defense, so I considered both the S&W 629 44mag, and the Ruger Redhawk. The sweet trigger pull of the S&W won my heart. Next to it, the Ruger felt like it was grinding gravel. Rugers are solid guns with good reps, and I'm sure it could be refined quite nicely with a trigger job at your local gunsmith, but the factory trigger felt awful to me. Trigger is everything when it comes to precision shooting.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 PM

Like bulzeye said, most state's have requierments, and varying one's at that. So first I would figure out what states you want to hunt in, and then find out the requierments. After that, choose a caliber/load that meets or exceeds all req's and then worry about which manufacturer and model to go with. At least that is what I would do. Hope that helps.

Jerry
Old 01-28-2007, 08:31 PM

This little research is actually more for my father. See, he bought a Taurus .357 mag (not for hunting, its more of a gut-buster/self defense gun) from a family friend. And while we were hunting this year we got to discussing hunting with a Handgun, and he asked me a few weeks ago to try to dig up some more info on it. So here I am, and thanks a lot everybody for the info and opinions on guns, etc. Thanks Again!