Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Handgun for hunting?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Handgun for hunting?

What's the best handgun I could buy for taking whitetails??? Looking to buy. Looking for great range, great handling best overall. Any advice?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Handgun for hunting?

By the way, I'd like to stay away from revolvers if at all possible. But if they're the best let me know. I'm just getting into this.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 PM

I think you'll get a lot of biased opinions to wade through on this one, but hearing what has worked for others may point you in the right direction.I would like to know how many different choicesare out there. Somegreat hunting handguns aren't even made anymorebut can be found used.

I carry two pistols while hunting, one for long range open fieldshots and one for closequick shots.

1)My long range option is an Encore in 7mm-08with15" barrelandhandloaded 139 gr. HornadaySST Interlocks. It's topped with a Burris 3-12X with ballplex and parralax adjustment. The 7mm-08 has little recoil withgreat ballistics for long range shooting.

2) Whilestalking or moving in/out of the stand I carrya 44. Mag Ruger Super RedHawkiniron sights withhandloaded 320 gr hardcast WLNGC. Ihave been looking for an Eotech 510AA or 550 AA to put on theRuger forfastertargetacquisition, but have been toldby my local shops that they are in short supply. Currently I amtest loading240 gr hardcast bullets. I think for whitetails they will get the job done at a cheaper price. Federal American Eagle 240 gr loads worked just fine before I started handloading to get better groups.

In WI a handgun must be at least 5" from end of barrel to pin and must be a centerfire of at least .22 caliber. Some states require straight wall cartridges only and of course maximum barrel lengths for pistols apply as well. The reason I started carrying a handgun was to travel between rifle and shotgun counties without having to change my gun. In Wisconsin you can use a handgun in any rifle or shotgun county. Do you have any requirements in your state?

I know some guys that carry a .45 Springfield long slide for finishing shots at close range. But they have to carry it in an exposed holster because WI is not yet a CCW state.

I have also looked at a Savage bolt action .308 that holds three cartridges. This pistol caught my eye because the bolt is on the left side. This makes perfect sense once you try to reload for a second shot on a pistol that has the bolt on the right.

I have seen the Rem XP bolt action in a few calibers and have heard nice reviews.

I am curious about the Kel-Tec hunting handgun that is in the NRA magazines, has anyone shot it that would like to share a review?

Old 01-12-2007, 04:57 PM

One thing to keep in mind is the size/weight issue. Too much and you might as well lug a rifle around. I had a 10" .357 maximum Contender that unfortunately I never had the opportunity toshoota whitetail with, but was a nice sizeto carry. I did take a deer with a S&W 629 Classic 8 3/8" with a 2x Leupold thatI carried for a few seasons.240 XTP at about 70 yards did the job... I miss that gun. The key thing is practice, just like getting good with a bow.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:08 PM
bigcountry

I hunt witha 44mag and is the minimal I would use for deer. I won't hesitate for shots under 100 yards. I also have a 460Smith I used for the first time this year. And its basically has the power of the 45-70. Its shoots under 6" groups at 200 yards. Just amazing. I would have never thought that amount of accuracy could be had with a revolver.

I don't know of any semi I would ever take hunting. Maybe a 50AE with speicalized ammo.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I hunt witha 44mag and is the minimal I would use for deer.
DITTO!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am real fond of my .41 magnum
Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think your best bet is a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Rem. Mag. 7.5" barrel; topped with a Burris 1.5X-4X handgun scope, or Thompson Center Encore .270 Win. with 15" barrel; topped with a Burris 2X-7X handgun scope. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Big country, rebel hog and handloader the .44mag is min . And that calibur in a Ruger Super Redhawk is awsome. Mine is a 7.5in barrel and a leupold 4X scope , it is a real good shooter and I dont think it kicks very hard, but some do.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have gotten hooked on single shots. Most of mine are in varmint calibers but I do have one in 308 (the stainless one with the break) and 7Int-x (the break open)
I prefer the bolt guns as they are the most accurate

Quick Reply: Best Handgun for hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.