Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why haven't they thought of this! >

Why haven't they thought of this!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why haven't they thought of this!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why haven't they thought of this!

I have been thinking, wouldn't it be cool if ammo companies made 10-gauge slugs? That would mean that shotgun hunters could hunt elk,moose,and grizzly and go to Africa with a shotgun!

Imagine, a 3 1/2 inch magnum slug. I can't believe nobody does that.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:38 AM

Default RE: Why haven't they thought of this!

Federal already makes a 10 Gauge Slug, I have several boxes for my 10 Gauge, they hit like a truck, too
Old 01-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

Federal already makes a 10 Gauge Slug, I have several boxes for my 10 Gauge, they hit like a truck, too
Yep! Load # F103RS.....3 1/2".....1 3/4oz HP....10ga
Old 01-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

the deer or your shoulder?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

the deer or your shoulder?
Hurts on both ends
Old 01-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Must be pretty darn expensive.

That sounds cool though, my grandpa has an H&R 10-gauge it's one of those old ones. I bet it could make a great elk/moose gun.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

They are $8.50 fora box of 5. Not too expensive, but pricier than 12ga rifled slugs for sure.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:29 PM

That sounds cool though, my grandpa has an H&R 10-gauge it's one of those old ones. I bet it could make a great elk/moose gun.
I wish H&R would produce a rifled slug barrel for the 10 ga., and companies would produce sabot slugs for the 10 ga., that would be an awesome 150 yard deer or elk gun.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 PM
DM

Many years ago waaaaaaaay before you could buy 10ga. slugs, i was useing a friends lathe to turn a bbl for a new sheep rifle i was building for myself. My friend came up to me and asked me if i would do him "a favor" and cast him some bullets out of a mould he had machinedbut never used. He handedthe mouldto me and when i opened it up i could see it was to make 10ga. slugs! They were really cool, kinda like amodified round ballwith a skirt on it.

That night i fired up the lead furnace and started casting those slugs out of pure lead. They came out perfect, and were heavy as he11, something like 900 grains!! I made about 20 or 30 of them and figured i'd make more later. Anyway, i had one of them near my desk so i could handle and look at it inbetween dealing with customers when another friend came in that cast a HUGE amount of lead bullets and was quite a handloading experimenter. Like me, he hand loaded a LOT of ammo forsale too, and it didn't take him long to spot that big slug!

He just HAD to have some of them and that's all he talked about the rest of the time he was in the shop, so i gave him a few and told him who had the mould. He took off like a shot, got the mould and cast up hundreds of them!

It wasn't too long before he had a load worked up for his double 10ga. and was selling the ammo to a few guys that wanted them for bear protection. (one of which had been drug out of a tent by a brown bear and was mauled considerly) Anyway after seeingmy friendfire a few, i didn't want the load, the ammo or any more to do with them...

Anyway, that's the first 10ga. slugs i ever saw or heard of!!

DM
Old 01-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would mean that shotgun hunters could hunt elk,moose,and grizzly and go to Africa with a shotgun!
Why would you shoot a shotgun when you can shoot a rifle? A bow I can understand....a muzzle-loader (even a modern one) I can understand....but a shotgun....nah.

And it has been done in Africa before too. Paradox loads. Ain't really hittin on much. Good way to have an acute attack of dying.