HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why haven't they thought of this!
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 PM
DM

Default RE: Why haven't they thought of this!

Many years ago waaaaaaaay before you could buy 10ga. slugs, i was useing a friends lathe to turn a bbl for a new sheep rifle i was building for myself. My friend came up to me and asked me if i would do him "a favor" and cast him some bullets out of a mould he had machinedbut never used. He handedthe mouldto me and when i opened it up i could see it was to make 10ga. slugs! They were really cool, kinda like amodified round ballwith a skirt on it.

That night i fired up the lead furnace and started casting those slugs out of pure lead. They came out perfect, and were heavy as he11, something like 900 grains!! I made about 20 or 30 of them and figured i'd make more later. Anyway, i had one of them near my desk so i could handle and look at it inbetween dealing with customers when another friend came in that cast a HUGE amount of lead bullets and was quite a handloading experimenter. Like me, he hand loaded a LOT of ammo forsale too, and it didn't take him long to spot that big slug!

He just HAD to have some of them and that's all he talked about the rest of the time he was in the shop, so i gave him a few and told him who had the mould. He took off like a shot, got the mould and cast up hundreds of them!

It wasn't too long before he had a load worked up for his double 10ga. and was selling the ammo to a few guys that wanted them for bear protection. (one of which had been drug out of a tent by a brown bear and was mauled considerly) Anyway after seeingmy friendfire a few, i didn't want the load, the ammo or any more to do with them...

Anyway, that's the first 10ga. slugs i ever saw or heard of!!

DM